Chapter Forty-Five

The afternoon rain had dropped to a drizzle by the time the Hunter sheathed his weapon, and concealed it back inside his coat

The afternoon rain had dropped to a drizzle by the time the Hunter sheathed his weapon, and concealed it back inside his coat. Erica paused at his side, flank heaving. They faced Lynea who stood a ways before them, fangs still bared and tail still lashing. The older wolf sported a small cut on her shoulder and didn't seem too pleased about it.

"That's enough for now," Dominic said though didn't turn his back to either wolf. Erica caught his gaze when she looked up to him, though he swiftly looked away again. "You...did well."

Erica swished her tail proudly and left the Hunter's side to prance over to her packmate who still bristled at Dominic.

The door to the cabin creaked open and Brit hovered on the porch. She leaned against the railing and stared out at the two wolves, a frown tugging at her lips. Her gaze landed on Dominic and she kept it there, studying him quietly.

Erica and Lynea started for the cabin together and simply left the Hunter behind, who had gone to gather the new blades that stuck up in the ground.

When they drew close, Erica barked a greeting to Brit and paused only for a second before following Lynea around the side of the cabin.

When they'd gone Brit moved out to the grass. Her feet were bare and her clothing casual, though her shoulders were tense. "I see why they hired you," she said as she grew closer.

"I wouldn't say they hired me," Dominic said without facing her. "Given I'm not being paid." He hung his duffle over his shoulder, tucking a knife away into it.

Brit laughed and moved closer. "Same idea." Her gaze followed the knives and she said, "Those are sharp."

"Wouldn't be of much use otherwise." Dominic closed up his duffel and shifted it on his shoulder, so that the bag was mostly hidden behind him.

"May I?" Brit asked, stepping forward. She offered a hand out to his bag with a curious smile. The Hunter didn't move at first, studying her. Without a word, he slid the bag back to his side and slid a dagger free from a pouch. He flipped it around in hand and handed it out to Brit, hilt first.

Brit took his offer and weighed the dagger in her hand. She fixed her hold on it a couple of times, unsure completely how to hold it.

"Hold it with the blade pointed downward," Dominic said. "It's not a sword. Have you handled anything like this before?"

Brit did as he said and it fell better into her grip. "Not really," she admitted. "I took a few self defense classes when I was younger, but nothing aside from the basics." She peered down at the blade and then lifted her gaze to him, a smile still tugging at her lips. "Not sure it would help much now."

He didn't return her expression and just slid the duffle back off his shoulder and onto the ground. "If not, then you'll just have to learn again. Anyone who can't fight at least needs to defend themselves." Dominic drew a dagger from his own coat, the blade carved elegantly. "If you decide to use a dagger, you'll have to learn how to change your hold quickly and accurately and know when to do so." He held it as he had instructed her, but a twist of his wrist sent the weapon twirling in his fingers until he held it upright instead, then he spun it back down.