Chapter Fifty-Two

The ground outside the cabin was littered with snow, and paw prints were scattered around the yard and into the forest

The ground outside the cabin was littered with snow, and paw prints were scattered around the yard and into the forest. Terra sat on the steps with a towel wrapped around her neck, and the wind chilling the sweat on her face. She hadn't gone far on her run, but enough to let out steam from the night before.

The door to the porch opened and Jake joined her, chugging down water as he sat. There was still a hint of blood under his nails, but he didn't seem to notice. "Terra," he started slowly.

"No," she interjected. "We had our suspicions, we should have done more."

Jake sat back against the railing with a scowl. "Anything more and Aaron would have noticed. You don't know if it would have been better or worse." Terra gave a small shake of her head but didn't reply further. She turned her gaze up to the cloudy sky and they fell into silence.

The yard was just as quiet until the Hunter came from the edge, hood drawn and a throwing knife flicking between his fingers. He approached the cabin, speaking when he reached halfway, aware both wolves would hear just fine. "How is she?" He paused several feet away from the deck itself and kept his hood on, face hidden.

"Sleeping," Jake replied shortly. He eyed the knife and took a long breath. "You didn't find him," he concluded.

"No," Dominic confirmed, the single word managing to lack any emotion. He said nothing more and shoved the knife back into a sheath along his belt with a single swift movement.

Terra pressed her hands together against her lips in thought. "We were right," she told him. "And yet, still this happened."

"He didn't give her another order to return?" Jake questioned.

"I don't believe he did," Dominic said. "Or at least he hadn't when I was present."

"Good." Jake glanced behind them and above. "I don't believe the bond is broken, but perhaps she can resist it." He looked to Dominic at the end of his statement as if waiting for confirmation.

Dominic didn't reply right away and he turned his head, gaze masked by the hood. "She managed to hold off a direct order," he started but paused again. "It required her to shift which her body obviously could not handle."

Terra let out a slow breath. "Brit will be alright in the end. She managed to stave off Aaron, and she can come back from this."

Though he didn't lower his hood, Dominic looked up to the Alpha in a way that showed weary eyes. "They weren't that far from here," he said.

Terra nodded and scratched at the wood of the porch absently. "Perhaps we need another option," she murmured.

"There aren't many left," Jake added instantly. "Not that we know are safe."

"If you are considering a new location," Dominic said. "I could see what we could do in way of setting up a safehouse. The Compound was fine with keeping this location confidential but they may not be as keen to uphold that if you decide to move on your own."