Chapter Four

Daylight filtered through heavy curtains, leaving a halo of light on the solid ceiling

Daylight filtered through heavy curtains, leaving a halo of light on the solid ceiling. There were lamps wisely placed throughout the room though none were lit. Terra opened her eyes slowly as they adjusted to the darkness, surprised she wasn't lying dead in a gutter somewhere. She sat up slowly, equally surprised to find herself on a bed. The room was small, and a railing to her right looked down to the lower level, but she couldn't glimpse what was down there. She looked around desperately for her bag, but couldn't locate it as she moved to stand as quietly as she could.

Terra peered down over the railing and found a vacant living room and a couch with a pillow at one end and a discarded blanket at the other. Sucking in a breath, she crept down the first couple steps then leaned over the railing to see more. She froze as her eyes locked on her history teacher standing at the door, the only door, an arm on the threshold to block the way.

"What do you want?" Jrasic said. He moved a little and Terra jerked back and out of sight.

The door slammed shut. "Tonight's the night! I've been looking forward to this, you know. Our first run since-" the new voice cut off suddenly and a long pause followed."You kept her alive," the man said. It wasn't a question.

"Yes. I didn't feel like crossing her off just like that. I just..."

Terra moved as quietly as possible. She made her way back up the stairs. Her gaze jumped to her backpack, broken straps and spilled contents thrown at the foot of the bed. Footsteps behind her made her leave it and crawl back into the bed, roll around, and close her eyes.

"You were bored," the man said. "Don't worry, I understand. In that case, let's have some fun." His feet pounded up the stairs.

"Aaron, wait!" Jrasic spun around after him and came up the stairs, but Aaron was already at the bedside, seizing Terra by the arms.

"I know you're awake, sunshine," the man sneered.

Terra's eyes flew open and she kicked out at the man. " Let me go!" She narrowed her eyes as they flashed between him and Jrasic.

"Evening. Someone sleeps well for being a captive," Aaron said with a sneer. His grip tightened on Terra as he pulled her up.

"Aaron, just stop." Jrasic came up beside him and grabbed his arm but Aaron easily jerked him away.

"It's about time you've stopped stalling," Aaron snapped, turning on Jrasic. He gave him a toothy grin, teeth oddly sharp. "Time to actually play with your food a little."

Terra's eyes widened and she pulled at Aaron's grip. "What do you mean food?" Her voice raised higher as her fear did and she kicked out at Aaron again, trying to get free.

"You're in for some fun, sunshine," Aaron pulled her to her feet and tossed her around, pushing her toward Jrasic.

Jrasic instinctively snatched her, fingers wrapping tightly around her wrists. "What are you doing?" his eyes searched Aaron's as if he hoped they held some sort of reasonable answer.