Chapter Twenty-Six

Terra shot up from her pillows like breaking the surface of water, the depths of her nightmares still tugging her back down

Terra shot up from her pillows like breaking the surface of water, the depths of her nightmares still tugging her back down. Her sluggish gaze took in the unfamiliar woodwork and furniture, eyes adjusting to the early light of day. Outside, the cabin overlooked the expanse of the forest, and the warm body beside her calmed her nerves.

With a soft murmur, Jrasic turned over to face her and cracked his eyes open. "You okay?" he said through the traces of sleep and shifted more to see her better.

Terra pushed a hand through her hair and let it hang over one shoulder. "Yeah, fine. Just..." She sighed and crossed her legs. "Bad dream," she finished finally.

Jrasic sat up more, propping himself up on one elbow. "Want to share?"

Terra messed with the sheets, a set scowl on her face. She murmured, "I don't really remember. It was a muddle of Sonya, Aaron, and...you." Terra met his gaze and tried to turn her frown into a slight smile, but it just set off a sort of sadness in her gaze. "It was just a dream."

"Then let's make it go away," Jrasic said and reached a hand out to her to pull her back down.

Terra settled back beside him and snuggled into his warmth. "How do you suppose we do that?" She asked tilting her head up to him.

"I can think of a few things," Jrasic said and released a silent sigh as he wrapped his arms around her. "This is one." He gave her a little squeeze, tugging her close.

Terra slid her hands to his face and pulled him down. "And another?" she asked giving him a light peck. "That certainly helps."

"Well that's another," Jrasic said and kissed her cheek. "You just did the quick version." He moved his lips to hers next, lingering longer.

Terra wrapped herself around him and turned a bit to get more leverage on him. She captured his face in her hands and let out a breathy laugh.

Jrasic searched her gaze, owning a small smile himself. "Feeling a little better?" he said, fingers combing into her hair.

"Now I never want to leave," she told him with a playful grin.

Below them a clattering of kitchen pots made her jump and Terra's grin dropped. "Though I guess now is as good a time as any to begin the day."