Chapter Eighty-Four

The day seemed like any other, but the closer nightfall came, the more restless Shayne felt

The day seemed like any other, but the closer nightfall came, the more restless Shayne felt. It became impossible for him to stay in the bed any longer. Soon he began to pace the room, unsure if he was allowed to leave. He didn't want to test the remainder of his wounds in public anyway. Although most had completely healed, at an impossible rate, he noted, there were still sore and aching spots when he moved.

There was a small and hesitant knock on his door, and Jessie cleared her throat. "Shayne, are you up?"

He flinched at the sound, but jerked his attention to the door at Jessie's voice. "Yeah," he answered.

She pushed open the door and gave him a small smile. "It's okay to be nervous," Jessie told him.

"This is just so weird," Shayne mumbled and continued to pace the room.

She hovered by the doorway and nodded. "Oh, I know. There will be a lot of others tonight. If they stare they're just...curious. I won't leave your side."

Shayne halted and turned to her. "You mean I need to be with...others?"

Jessie glanced around and gave a light shrug. "Well...I suppose you don't have to. Terra wanted to be there, I think, but she has to lead the rest of them."

"I guess she's pretty important around here." Shayne backed up to his bed and forced himself to sit on the edge.

"She's our Alpha," Jessie said with a shrug. "She's about as important as it gets."

Shayne let out a slow breath, pressing his elbows to his knees. "Right, of course she is."

"You went to highschool with her, right?" Jessie moved closer to him. "What was she like?"

"I knew her from before highschool, too," Shayne said. "She was quiet. Kind of a loner really. She'd rather depend on herself than anyone else. But, she also went through a lot and that's when she really started separating herself from the rest of the world."

"You should see her now." Jessie sat beside him and smiled wider. "She has friends and people she loves. And she's really, really good at leading."

"She at least seems different," Shayne said. "And not in a bad way."

Jessie put a hand on his shoulder and said, "I'm not saying you'll be the same way. Just...give it a chance."

"Yeah, I guess.". He straightened a bit and glanced to Jessie. "So...what happens?"

"It...it'll hurt," she said her hand dropping away. Jessie looked off at the wall. "A lot. The best you can do is give in, and make sure you keep breathing as steady as possible." She pushed at her hair and sighed. "And, um, and then you change. Your whole body sort of...rearranges itself. It depends on the person the level of pain, but that's why I'll be there. To help you, as long as I can."

Shayne fell quiet for a long moment. He held a hand out before him, watching it as if he expected it to suddenly become a paw instead. "Alright."

"After, though, you get to run." Her voice changed then and the smallest of smiles returned. "You can run so fast, and hear and smell everything so differently. It's like nothing else."