Chapter Fifty-One

With the snow still falling in flurries as it had the last few days, Brit wrapped her arms around herself and muttered as she stomped through the woods

With the snow still falling in flurries as it had the last few days, Brit wrapped her arms around herself and muttered as she stomped through the woods. She kicked at the brush at her feet and slight gathering snow as she waited in the clearing. Her body shook against the cold winds and there was a set scowl on her lips.

She stood alone for several minutes longer, the snow slowly accumulating as it managed to stick to the ground and to her. At last, Aaron arrived, simply stepping out of the dark to face her. He wore a soft grin and paused just feet away. "Good evening, Brit."

Brit watched him with her arms crossed tightly and a snarl started on her lips, but she shoved it down. "I am here, and I have seen you. That's what you ordered, and now I am going home." She spun away from him with a sigh of annoyance and simply started walking.

"You will stay," Aaron said. "We're not finished here."

Brit stopped dead in her tracks at his words and turned slowly. "Yes," she whispered, "we are." Brit calmed her anger enough to face him fully and fought hard to take another step away. "I can't- I won't do this anymore."

"You'll do this as long as I say," Aaron said and stepped toward her, easily closing the distance. "But, it would be nice if we went for a walk, wouldn't it?" He motioned onward toward where she was retreating, a smile still plastered on his face.

Brit flinched at his closeness and shook her head. "No," she said, letting part of the growl slip through. "No, it wouldn't."

Aaron tipped his head and lowered his hand to his side again. "I thought you wanted to go back?"

"Not with you," she replied. Brit straightened despite the shakes that his closeness brought upon her.

His smile sweetened then he suddenly shot a hand out, claws digging into her shoulder. "Show me where they are," he demanded.

With a small whine of pain, Brit lifted a finger in the direction she came from. Careful of his claws in her she stepped back to lead him where she'd pointed.

Aaron released her but kept close still, allowing her to lead. "Isn't it just easier this way?" he said, the calm flooding back to his voice. "You're fighting so hard for wolves who don't even notice you're missing at night."

Brit took slow, shuddering breaths but didn't reply as she led him forward. Before she went too far, Brit finally managed to lock her legs. A different sort of pain ripped through her as she stopped and Brit sank to her knees on the frozen ground, a few tears slipping free to roll down her cheeks.

Aaron halted at her side, an annoyed growl building in his throat. "What are you doing?"

Brit just shook her head and dug her nails into her palms. She looked out in the direction of the cabin and kept her gaze from Aaron as she defied him.

"Stand up," Aaron said, slithering the words out in just a whisper.

With a sharp whine, she curled around herself, arms hugged to her stomach. "No," she whimpered.