Chapter Seventy

The moon was coming

The moon was coming. Over the days, Jrasic could feel it filling as each night it tugged more and more at his bones. He hadn't shifted since the former moon, the last he had with Terra. Shifting was out of the question after he'd been taken. Even if it did mean he could have risked escape. Now, it was just utterly impossible.

Jrasic sat leaned up against the wall with one leg bent and the other outstretched. His knee was in agony, his whole body hurt. There was no end to the pain. He couldn't even look at his mauled leg even with the feeble bandage Jason had come down to wrap his knee in. It was then that Jrasic truly realized what condition he was in. Of course, the Healer never said anything, but Jrasic could see it in his eyes.

Sonya had gone too far. He was dying. Good, he thought. Maybe it was better that way. He had the chance to experience a real love, to see a real Alpha rise into power. Terra would win. He told Willow that and he still believed it. She would win and finally all this would be over. The only thing he regretted was not being able to survive long enough to witness it.

That and maybe seeing Terra's wondrous brown eyes one more time.

After a moment, Jrasic became aware of something gently patting the side of his face. Then a voice came, "Jrasic. C-can you hear me?"

He knew that voice. But...who did it belong to? The voice kept at it too, trying to raise him or wake him, but his eyes weren't closed were they? No. He could blink. So then why couldn't he see?

"Jrasic, I'm going to give you something," the voice said. "It should help."

There was a pause as if the person was waiting for confirmation. Then, something pricked into Jrasic's arm and the world lit on fire.

"You have to keep still!" the voice said. "Please, try not to move." Move? Was he moving? "Jrasic, calm down, it'll be over soon."

That made his racing heart calm at least. It'll be over soon. Maybe this voice was killing him. Maybe Sonya had grown tired of him after all. He'd outlived his use.

"You see?" the voice said. It sounded further now, no longer talking to him. Jrasic wondered why he could even still hear it. Whatever the voice did to kill him was taking an awful long time. "There's too much wolfsbane in his system. It needs to stop or else there will be nothing more I can do."

"So what did you give him now?" another voice said. This one made ice run through Jrasic's veins. No matter what condition he was in, he'd always recognize Sonya's smooth voice.

"It's an antidote to the wolfsbane's poisoning affects," the other wolf said. Things were starting to strangely clear up a bit. This voice...it was Jason. "It'll wake him up enough but that's about it. He'll need daily doses of it until he's stable."

"Fine," Sonya said. "You can come back tomorrow evening. Now, you're finished here."

There was a pause then Jason said, "Summon me if his heart stops again."