Chapter Sixty-Nine

It was nearly dark when Terra had left the house and started for the woods with her pack not far behind

It was nearly dark when Terra had left the house and started for the woods with her pack not far behind. She reached the trees and tipped her head up to the full moon. The treetops could barely cover it, and even the clouds had left the sky for that night. The Alpha placed her hand against her bare throat where her pendant usually lay and closed her eyes. "You shouldn't be alone," she whispered.

Snow crunched behind her and Lynea silently came to her side. The older wolf said nothing at first and just watched the forest. "A new and unknown forest," she said after a while. "Somehow it seems fitting."

"I have to agree there," Terra murmured in return. She released a slow breath and turned to Lynea. "Ready for a run? We won't go far from the Compound, but just shifting together will be nice."

"Being with just the pack in general will be nice," Lynea said, though her face fell at her own words.

A shout came from behind them towards the house and Jake's scent followed shortly after. He grinned at them with Charles at his side, Jessie hurrying to keep up. "Everyone ready?" he asked.

Erica and Wren appeared next, both holding onto each other's hand. The boy smiled wide at Lynea and Terra though exclaimed "yeah!" to Jake's question.

"And now we wait for Brit," Terra said, turning to watch her wolves.

"She'll be along," Jessie assured her with an easy smile. "You know, I'm not even sure if she stayed-"

Brit's scent hit them before Jessie could finish and the woman arrived, pushing her hands through her hair as if to fix it. "Sorry!" she exclaimed. "I got held up."

Lynea rose her brow at the girl. "Looks like it," she commented.

Brit cleared her throat and her face went a bit red, but Terra stepped forward then. The Alpha looked across the pack and gave them a small nod as she looked up to the moon. Her bones cracked and Terra's breath hitched as she shifted. A ripple of pain went through her once she hit her paws, but she simply shook it off. Jake's golden wolf was beside her in an instant, and he pressed his pelt to hers in comfort.

Once everyone had shifted, Wren looked around them all and yapped. He hopped over to the leaders of their pack and pranced around them, his panting breaths billowing like clouds around his maw. Jake pushed him lightly with his paw once and then again, turning his head to watch the pup as he ran around.

An auburn wolf trotted over to them as well, and Jessie pawed snow up at Terra playfully, the Alpha immediately doing the same. The pup barked loudly at them and dove into the snow, plowing his front paws in to spray up flakes.

Terra released a sharp bark to catch their attention and leaned down to nose at Wren. When she turned her head back to the moon, Terra released a long howl that was alone for just a moment, until Jake's voice joined her, followed by the twins. Lynea threw her head back at the same time as Erica. Wren glanced around until he planted his rear down and his tiny voice joined the older wolves as they cried to the moon.

Terra cut off and closed her eyes as Jake led them for moments longer, listening to all the voices, but still hearing the one that she missed the most. When they died out, she turned and leapt at Jake to begin their fun once more.

This time Wren hung back to dance around Erica, occasionally jumping at Jessie to draw the Healer's attention. She followed after Wren and flicked his ear with her paw when he came close enough. The Healer hovered close to Erica and just gave a small nod to the other wolf.

The silver wolf bowed her head, tail tucking in. Wren growled at them both and kicked up snow at each of them before prancing further away. Jessie kept low to the ground and growled playfully at Wren. She jumped after him and he yelped before dashing away from her. Wren watched her from over his shoulder as he ran and crashed right into Terra.

The Alpha's shoulders shook in laughter as she stopped Wren from falling. With a short bark, Terra turned and dashed out into the forest. They couldn't go far, but at least they could run.