Chapter Forty-Six

The main floor of the cabin was relatively silent as the sun disappeared behind the mountains and trees

The main floor of the cabin was relatively silent as the sun disappeared behind the mountains and trees. Brit sat beside Jake, her legs folded beneath her and she watched him carefully. Her hands shook and she tucked them beneath her.

"One more time," Jake instructed holding her gaze. He rested a hand on her arm, warm against her nervously cool skin.

"Relax," she started slowly, carefully to remember. "I need to relax, breathe, and focus on the pull of the moon."

He nodded to her then, a comforting smile on his lips. "And one last thing," he said with a pause. When she didn't reply, he squeezed her arm. "You'll still be you. This isn't a monster controlling you, it's just another skin."

Voices came from the stairs as Erica and Wren came down them, racing to reach the bottom first. They both paused when they spotted Brit and Jake, and Wren immediately quieted down. He kept to Erica's side as they walked the rest of the way.

Erica offered a kind smile as they drew near and nodded to Jake and Brit in silent greeting.

Brit responded with a half smile and her gaze lingered on Wren, a longing look passing across her face for just a moment before she looked away.

"We should head out soon," Jake told her softly.

Erica drew a deep breath and looked off toward the kitchen. "I guess everyone's outside already?"

"I hope so!" Wren pitched in. "I can't wait!" He looked over to Brit, wandering a bit closer. "You don't gotta be afraid, you know. 'Cause we'll be with you and stuff."

"So I've been told," she murmured. Brit stood slowly and Jake joined her, still keeping a hand on her arm. She stepped away slowly but paused in front of Wren. "If it doesn't scare you, it can't be that awful."

Wren's expression faltered but he never looked away. "You don't really believe that," he stated. "But that's okay. Lynea says new wolves are always afraid of their first moon."

Brit paused at his words and her smile faltered. "Being afraid is okay sometimes," she told him. "It keeps you on your toes."

Wren shrugged and tucked his hands into his sweater pockets. "Yeah, I guess."

"Hey, we should get going." Erica put a hand on Wren's shoulder and nodded toward the kitchen.

Brit hesitated again and Jake gave her a small nudge with his hand on her back. He paused to smile at Erica and he looked her over. "You ready?" he asked.

"Actually yeah," Erica said just as soft. "With the Hunter here and stuff, I think a run is good."

"Well, I can't wait!" Wren said again and pulled up ahead, stretching his arms up behind his head. "I don't get to go outside anymore so, yeah!"

"He's not as dangerous as you think," Brit told them without looking back. "Not to you, at least."

Jake sighed through his nose and said, "You don't know the Hunters, Brit."