Chapter Seventy-Nine

Once the coast was clear, Wren darted out of the dining room and near slid down the hall on his way to the living room

Once the coast was clear, Wren darted out of the dining room and near slid down the hall on his way to the living room. The whole house was utterly alive and swirling, even if the living room itself wasn't that populated. The boy slipped around the corner and pressed himself up against the wall, daring to take a tiny peek back the way he came.

"You okay, kid?" Jo leaned against the wall with him, a good distance away and a frown on her face. She had her thumbs in her pockets and tipped her head at him.

Wren nodded rapidly. "My mom doesn't know I'm not in the room," he whispered, then pulled back to grin up at Jo.

"Yeah?" The frown softened and Jo ventured a bit closer. "Well hey, don't get me in trouble, too, okay?"

"Then don't get us caught," Wren said and giggled right after. He glanced past Jo, noticing the absence of the other young wolf that normally followed her around. "So...what are you doing?"

"What, me?" She moved closer and sat to hide herself as well. "I was checking in on everyone. Make sure they're doing alright. Some of them are pretty nervous."

Wren watched her a moment before sinking down with her. "I know," he said. "Some of them are still kinda scared, too." He pulled up his legs and rested his arms on his knees. "They like you though."

She gave him a small smile next. "Yeah, you think so? I guess that makes you pretty smart."

The boy shrugged. "I hope they like Miss Terra too."

"She's not doing half bad," Jo admitted. "But she has a good ways to go, and not much time. Wren, you seem smart, but you don't seem scared."

"What do I gotta be afraid of?" Wren asked then smiled sheepishly. "Other than my mom finding me."

Jo sighed and said, "A lot of things, kid." Her frown returned as she turned her gaze to the main door. "Like how often these Hunters visit this house." She pushed up to her feet and glanced down at Wren.

He was up in the next second. "Is it Dominic?" he asked. He didn't wait for an answer. "I gotta go get Miss Terra!" With that, he turned off and sped away again.

With a shrug, Jo wandered to the door and hovered a moment before she threw it open with a sharp toothed grin. Sure enough, Dominic stood on the other side, crossbow hastily strapped to his back. "Where is Terra?" he said straight out.

Jo tipped her head and kept her grin. "Which one is Terra, again?"

A small growl of a command announced Terra's arrival as she pushed her way in front of Jo. Though the Pack Cell Alpha took a step back, she still hovered there. "What is it?" Terra asked, shoving her hands into her oversized hoodie.

Dominic looked between them, but addressed Terra when he spoke again. "Something's come up that requires your attention," he said and paused a moment. "And your Healer as well."