Chapter Thirteen

The room was kept fairly dark aside from a dull lamp in the corner of the room

The room was kept fairly dark aside from a dull lamp in the corner of the room. Jrasic sat on the floor beside Terra's bed, one of the side tables pushed aside. He kept one arm propped on the bed frame in the crevice between the wood and the mattress. From where he sat he could just see Terra's face.

He watched her for a few moments until his gaze dropped to his hands. Jrasic pulled his hand back from the frame and stared down at his palm. He could still feel her blood against his skin. A growl seeped from his throat. Jrasic jerked his arm back and cracked his fist into the crooked side table.

"That sounded painful." Terra's voice was barely a mutter, and she didn't open her eyes right away. When she did, it was slow and groggy. Her arms were up by her head as she was on her stomach. Strands of hair had fallen into her face, but she didn't bother to move them, or move at all. Her back throbbed under the bandages as she looked him over.

Jrasic snapped his attention to her, slowly drawing his hand back. "Terra." He shuffled forward and onto his knees, propping his arms on the edge of her bed. His eyes searched her and the smallest of smiles turned up the corner of his mouth. Jrasic bowed his head between his arms, hissing out a breath between clenched teeth.

She shifted slightly and her eyes closed in pain, though she tried to hide it. "Well, I'm not dead at least." Terra opened her eyes and tried to smile, but it fell away along with her gaze.

Lifting his head again, Jrasic eased back against the wall. "No. Unfortunately for Sonya, if I ever catch her, she won't be able to say the same." He didn't look at her and instead stared at the wall before him, eyes darkening.

With a small sigh, Terra moved her hand to lay it over his. "You can't," she told him forcefully. She winced and the hand near him clenched up. "She wouldn't let you. It wouldn't end well."

Jrasic turned his gaze onto their hands then to Terra. "She could sure try fighting back," he said with a smirk. "I'm stronger than you may think. I won't let her hurt you again. I won't let her near you again."

"Jrasic," Terra started and sighed. She looked at him again, the pain obvious in her eyes. "I want her to leave me alone, but I don't think she will. If she did this to me, what has she done with others?" A small noise started in her throat again, but Terra flinched at it and let out a startled noise of pain. A stray tear slipped out, but as she tensed the pain only got worse.

"Don't move so much," Jrasic said. "Just... relax." He moved his hand from hers only to catch her tear with the side of his finger. "I can't say what Sonya has or hasn't done. She's locked within her own mind, holding her own agendas."

Terra let her eyes close and ducked her head into his touch, though her hand was shaking still from the pain. "Would you abandon me?" she asked him finally. "After I really become...one of you?" She clenched her teeth as she waited for his answer. Exhaustion started to creep over her, and it only made the tremor in her hand stronger.