Chapter Fifty

The center of town was busy, as much as it could be for its size, but Terra slipped easily through the groups of people as she made her way back to the plaza

The center of town was busy, as much as it could be for its size, but Terra slipped easily through the groups of people as she made her way back to the plaza. The lights twinkled around the shops and echoed the stars that usually hung in the sky, but they were obscured by clouds. A few flurries drifted down, the first signs of snow, but there was no indication they would stick to the ground.

Terra messed with the note in her pocket as she walked, and absently pulled at the clinging sweater. The only comfort in her journey was the slight weight at her collarbone from the pendant she rarely removed. Her gaze found the cafe and she tore the note and cast it into a bin before she entered.

Though the scents joined the warmth that flooded her, Terra ignored her instincts to glance around and ordered coffee as casually as she could manage. Even when she sat in a corner booth, she crossed her legs and sipped slowly from the cup without acknowledging the Alpha before her.

Sonya wore a soft smile as she watched her, hands folded neatly beside her cup of tea. "So," she started, shyly glancing away. "How are you?"

"Just fine," Terra replied, following her words with a sip. She let her gaze slip across Sonya for a moment before she raised her eyebrows.

"That's good," Sonya said. She returned her gaze to Terra but didn't say a thing, just watching her, studying her.

Terra turned her attention to the clock and let out a short sigh as she turned back to Sonya. "Your note brought me here, Sonya, but I don't need to stay. I have a perfectly warm bed to return to."

"Do you?" Sonya said. "That's good to hear. I was afraid you didn't find a place to stay." Her smile kept as she tipped her head to Terra. "I'm glad the wolves were able to find you. They've been waiting for a while. Wherever you're staying, you must be well on supplies."

"Or perhaps your wolves aren't as good as you think," Terra countered. She leaned forward to place her near empty cup on the table. "Either way, they found me and I'm here, so whatever you wish to say, say it."

Sonya leaned back and finally lifted her cup, taking an elegant sip. "I've been thinking about this silly squabble between us," she said. "Why don't we just put it aside, bring our packs back together? I want you to come home to me, Terra."

A short laugh escaped her lips and Terra leaned back again with her hands on her legs. "And why would I do that?" she asked in reply. "I make a stand against you for a reason, Sonya, and I'm not just going to pack and give up."

"But is this really a fair fight anyway?" Sonya said through a sigh. She set her cup back down and leaned onto the table, her head lazily kept in her palm. "I don't really want to hurt you. I thought you'd understand by now how difficult it is to be a real Alpha. I'd be devastated if someone killed you in this silly fight."

"Yes, but at least I would have made a point," Terra told her. "My death would make me a martyr. Another wolf may stand against you, perhaps a good number of them."