Chapter Nine

Two young boys ran hand in hand around Jrasic

Two young boys ran hand in hand around Jrasic. Both wore nothing but jeans, their bare feet pattering against the wooden floorboards. Jrasic held a small shirt in his hand, another was tucked just under his arm.

"Would you two just stop moving for three minutes?" Jrasic said through a growl. It didn't seem to phase the two for they giggled and continued bouncing around him. Jrasic lurched forward with the shirt, aiming to slip it around one the boy's head but he ducked out of the way at the last second. Jrasic stood straight again, narrowing his eyes in annoyance as the boys snickered at him.

Jessie hovered nearby, leaning against a wall with a smile. She stepped forward and knelt down to the boys' level. "If you get dressed, I can sneak you some candy later. I can reach the higher shelves, you know." She gave them a very obvious wink, but suppressed a laugh.

Both boys stopped and looked up at her with round eyes. In less than a second, they were both standing before Jrasic, looking up at him. Finally, they released each others hands and wide grins pressed at their faces. Jrasic's glower increased until he sighed, shoulders sagging.

"Alright, little monsters." Jrasic slipped the light blue shirt over the boy's head, tugging it down to his waistline. Once dressed, he was off again.

"Hurry, hurry!" he shouted to his brother. The boy ran over to Jessie and tucked himself behind her. "Bet'cha can't catch me!"

"Yeah-huh!" the other retorted just as Jrasic slipped the shirt over his head. He didn't have time to tuck the boy's arms in before he dashed off, the shirt hanging around his neck.

The boy beside Jessie squealed and then the two were off, leaving their frustrated Beta to stare hopelessly after them.

Jessie straightened up again and watched them run off. "They aren't getting anymore sugar," she commented to herself. She turned to Jrasic, but there was a thud from one of the rooms, and Jessie's gaze swiveled towards it. She'd been expecting it sooner or later and immediately started towards Terra's door.

"It's alright," Jrasic said, stepping forward to cut her off. "I'll check it out."

Jessie hesitated, but took a small step back. "Call me if you need anything." She ducked her head to him politely and disappeared back into her own bedroom.

• • • • ☾ • • • •

Terra sat on her hands and knees beside the bed, her attempt at standing having gone horribly wrong. The dizziness had immediately returned, as had the shaking. She didn't feel sick, but she didn't trust herself to stand up either. After a moment of slow breathing, Terra straightened cautiously, one hand on her bedside table to keep steady.

Jrasic appeared in her doorway, leaning up against the frame. "A bit early to be trying to walk around, don't you think?"

Terra glared up at him and her eyes narrowed. "I was getting anxious and, frankly, quite bored." She tried to push herself up again, but slipped back down with a slight noise of pain.