Fracture

Not requested.

Ship: Platonic LAMP

Category: Hurt/Comfort

Warnings: Arguing

Summary: Patton finally snaps.

¶∆¶∆¶∆¶

"Good morning, Roman!" Patton said cheerfully, flipping a pancake. "Did you have a good sleep?"

Roman dragged a chair back and hopped into it, grinning. "Of course I did, Padre! Nothing but sweet dreams for your favorite prince! So, I've got this new idea..."

Patton was only half-listening to Roman's rambling. He was too focused on the fact that Roman didn't ask about his sleep, or care about him at all. But that wasn't rational. His kiddos didn't have to care all the time. But some part of it still hurt.

The next to arrive was Logan, tie adjusted neatly and hair combed perfectly. He sat down beside Roman without acknowledging anyone. At least it wasn't only Patton.

"Good morning, Specs," Roman greeted, clapping him on the shoulder. "Got any new over-analyzed concepts for me today?"

"Actually, yes," Logan replied evenly, a spark entering his eyes as he prepared to talk about something complicated. "If a tree falls in a forest without anyone around to hear it, does it actually make a sound? Of course, my original thought was: yes, of course it does. But then I began to think: everything exists in our own comprehension of reality, so if we don't hear it, therefore it doesn't actually exist. This means..."

Too bad Logan never bothered to tell Patton his newest theories and ideas. He was too stupid, apparently. Patton's smile wavered.

Virgil shuffled in last, head down and bangs swept over his eyes. He lifted his gaze and smiled a bit at Patton, but that was it. Virgil sat down and began listening to Logan's long-winded explanation.

Patton slid plates in front of everyone, receiving a curt nod from Logan, a mumbled thanks from Virgil, and... northing from Roman, as per usual. Everyone began to dig in, but Patton had lost his appetite. Why was this affecting him more than normal? He always got this. He was dumb, he couldn't participate in "smarter" conversations because he made puns, he was just Morality, stupid, emotional Morality.

"... and so therefore, no one exists in our own comprehension, because existence is determined by observation, and we cannot observe anyone better than they can themselves," Logan finished, lifting his fork to his mouth.

"Bravo!" Roman cheered, clapping. "Truly insightful."

"Well, then it begs the question, does it matter?" Patton said. He'd been listening attentively, and he had his own input. "Should we try to understand the un-understandable? And then do we exist? Because only Thomas really knows about us, and we could also count as his tools of observation, so what questions does that raise?"

Logan blinked at him, then shook his head. "That isn't the point, Patton," he said dismissively, then turned to Roman and began to talk once more.

Patton stood up abruptly, shoving his chair backwards. The conversation screeched to a halt.

"What's wrong, Pat?" Virgil asked, tilting his head.

For the first time, Patton didn't feel sad over getting brushed off. Tears didn't sting his eyes, and his hands didn't shake. Instead, a hot, tingly feeling buzzed in his skull, and his teeth ground together.

He was angry.

"You don't get to do that," Patton said, pointing a finger at Logan. "You don't get to push me aside like my opinion doesn't matter. You don't get to act like I'm dumb cause I'm feelings and you're logic. It doesn't work like that."

Logan stared at him, a frown creasing his face. "Feelings are not rational, Patton, and therefore unimportant in the end. A discarded variable, you could say."

"No!" Patron cried. "You can't say that! Feelings aren't always rational but that doesn't make them any less important! I'm not unimportant, Logan!"

"Hey, I don't think that's what he meant," Roman interjected defensively. "He's just trying to-"

"SHUT UP!" Patton shouted, and Roman flinched violently, freezing mid-sentence. "YOU CAN'T TALK DOWN TO ME LIKE THAT, ALL THE TIME! I'M NOT USELESS, NOT UNIMPORTANT, NOT DUMB! I AM A VALUED PART OF THOMAS AND DESERVE TO BE TREATED AS SUCH!"

Logan looked shocked for only a moment, then straightened and schooled his expression. "Patton, please. Control your emotions. I was stating facts, and you are taking it beyond that."

"I'M NOT TAKING IT BEYOND ANYTHING IT ALREADY WAS!" Patton continued. He felt dizzy and secure, shaky and steady, all at the sane time. He was riding this feeling like a wave. "I'M TIRED OF BEING TREATED LIKE I DON'T DESERVE RESPECT BECAUSE OF WHAT I REPRESENT! I DON'T EVEN GET A THANK YOU MOST OF THE TIME, AND WHEN I DO, IT'S BECAUSE YOU FEEL BAD FOR ME! I DON'T WANT TO BE PITIED! I WANT TO BE TREATED AS AN EQUAL!"

Virgil let out a small sob and fled the room, hands pressed over his eyes and trembling.

"Virge," Roman called, running after him.

Then it was just Patton and Logan.

Patton briefly felt guilty for upsetting Virgil, but he needed to let it out.

"There was no reason to shout like that," Logan said finally, voice softer than usual. "I also don't think it was the healthiest way to vent your emotions."

Before Patton could reply, Logan spoke again, this time, with his eyes downcast and tone apologetic.

"But you've made your point very clear." Logan sighed. "Everything you said rings true. I have a terrible habit of berating others, and I've made no effort to tone it down. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies that I had never acknowledged your emotions before, which are perfectly valid."

Patton deflated, the fury draining from him, the tension fleeing his shoulders. He felt empty, now that he'd finally communicated his point. Maybe hiding his emotions meant more than just sadness; anger, too.

"Patton, I'm not skilled at this, but could I offer you... a hug?" Logan asked hesitantly, standing up.

Patton nodded, and Logan embraced him, his arms stiff but his gesture heartfelt. Patton held him for a few more seconds, then let go, a tired smile creasing his lips.

"I'm going to my room," Patton said, heading for the stairs. "I need to distract myself."

"Try reading," Logan suggested tentatively. "I find it quite relaxing when Roman is particularly irritating."

"We'll see," Patton mumbled, turning away. He didn't want to listen to Logan right now.

For the first time, Patton didn't want to feel anything.

¶∆¶∆¶∆¶