[Chapter Twenty-Seven]

Amelia woke up and got ready for the day. Fabian and her had decided to wake up early, so they could head on over to the school and try and figure the pattern out. They both grabbed a quick snack and then headed out of the house and to the school.

Once they got to the school, they walked to the lounge and immediately started looking over the video Fabian had taken of the pendulums. Amelia got out her notepad and started to write down the sequence she was saying, using the letters that Fabian had made up for each of the pendulums. Amelia looked over her notes, quickly figuring the pattern out.

"Okay so it goes like A, B then back to A, then C, then A, then B, C, D and then it repeats. So, it looks like the first pendulum gap is the hardest, because it repeats the most." "So, as long as we can time ourselves perfectly, we can get through it all," Fabian smiled, high-fiving Amelia. "Okay let's get to class; we can show the others at lunch. I think I know how we can practice, so meet me here as soon as fourth period lets out." They walked off to their first class, Amelia explaining to him her plan as they walked.

****

Amelia left her fourth period class early, lying about having a stomach ache, so she could go to the lounge and set up her idea. Amelia was busy pushing all the furniture to the side and placing a bench in the middle of the room, that she hadn't realized the others had walked in. "What are we looking at," Amber asked, looking down at the bench confused. "It's a crocodile, can't you see," Nina laughed, immediately figuring out what Amelia's idea was.

"Amelia and I figured out the pattern earlier this morning, and she had a great plan. We are going to all take turns as pendulums and on the beam, and we are going to rotate through until we all get to do it." "That way by the end of this, we will all have it down," Amelia finished. "Don't learn the gaps, learn the swings," "Right! The pattern is eight beats, or I guess swings, so if we can memorize the timing of those eight swings, then we got this," Amelia told them.

Fabian started to point out where everyone was going to start. "Eh Patricia you are A, Nina you are B, Amber you are C and Alfie you are D. Amelia you can just watch this time." Everyone except for Amber moved and got into their positions. "Wait, am I U R or C?" Everyone laughed, "C," Fabian reminded her. "Okay!" Once everyone was in their places, Fabian stood next to Amelia.

"Okay Alfie, give us a beat," Fabian told him. "Uh A, B, A, C, A, B, C, D, A, B, A, C, A, B, C, D and it loops, again." Amelia was practically on the floor laughing. The group was a mess; everyone kept bumping into each other. Amelia smiled, happy that even though they were in the middle of a life or death situation, that they were still finding some ways to have fun and laugh and smile, and just be semi-carefree kids.

They tried it a few more times and then switched Nina and Patricia out for Amelia and Fabian, so they could try it out. They rotated a few more times, everyone having a chance to try each of the spots out, before they let someone try and walk across the beam. Amelia went first, being able to get through with only a few hesitations, one scream, and no collisions. After her Nina went, "A, C, A, C," "I did it," she cheered. "Yes Nina, woo-hoo," "Well done!"

"Okay, uh Nina you be A, Patricia your turn on the beam." "Ready, here we go. A, B, C, D, A, C, A, C." Patricia all the sudden stopped and jumped off the beam. They all turned around and saw Ms. Andrews standing in the doorway, watching them. "What are you doing," she interrogated them. They all looked at each other, each of them trying to come up with a lie that she would believe.

Alfie of course was the first one to come up with an excuse. "Interpretive dance Ms.; for drama." "And what are you interpreting," she asked them, not yet believing them. "It's an exploration into the cultural origins and influences of man's struggle against oppressive institutions. But if you have to ask, then obviously we're not doing it right."