Chapter 6

The door swung open. Before Rosalie stood a tall, black-haired witch in emerald green robes. She had a very stern face, Rosalie realized that it is not a Professor you should cross. "The first year, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said. "Thank you, Hagrid. I'll take them from here." The Professor said. They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. There was a voice from the doorway to the right. Professor McGonagall led them to an empty chamber off the hall.

'Welcome to Hogwarts. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. Now there are four houses Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, now the houses are your home and there will be no rule breaking or you'll lose your house point and do something good you will gain points we'll be -" Professor McGonagall was cut off by the boy who came into their compartment. He leapt forward and picked up a toad, as he back away, Rosalie stepped back, not wanting to be near the toad.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." She said and stared at the boy, who nervously looked down.

"So, it's true what they said on the train. Harry and Rosalie Potter are at Hogwarts." Rosalie glanced to her side and saw the boy from the robe shop. He stepped forward and offered his hand to Harry. "Draco Malfoy." The boy said, and Rosalie heard Ron let out a snort, to cover his laughter. Draco turned to Ron, "Red hair and a hand me down robe, you must be a Weasley." Draco said he turned back to Harry and Rosalie, "You will soon learn about real wizarding families, but I can help you with that." Draco said, his hand still in front of Harry, who stared down at it.

"I think I can work that out on my own. Thank you." Harry said and turned towards Ron. Professor McGonagall came back and tapped Draco on the shoulder which made him move. "We're ready for you." She said and led them forward. Suddenly several people behind them screamed. Rosalie looked around her and saw about twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. They glided across the room talking to one another.

They seemed to be arguing. Rosalie listened to their conversation. "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance -- " a fat little monk ghost said. 'My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all bad names you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?" A ghost wearing ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years staring at them.

'New students!?" the fat Friar said. "About to be sorted I suppose?" a few students nodded. Move along now, The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." McGonagall said. One by one the ghosts floated away through the opposite wall. "Now form a line and follow me." Professor McGonagall said. They walked through the double doors leading into the Great Hall.

All the older students stared at them, smiling as they walked between the tables towards the front of the hall. Professor McGonagall placed a four-legged stool in front of them. On top of the stool, she put a pointed wizard's hat. The hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. Everyone in the hall stared at the hat. It was silenced for a few seconds. Rosalie saw the hat twitch. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth, the hat began to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head