Chapter 8

Christmas break ended and Hermione came back. She was disappointed that they didn't find anything on Nicolas Flamel. Rose sat in the common room doing her homework, Hermione and Ron, were reading through books again looking for Nicolas Flamel, Harry had just gotten back from Quidditch practice.  He told them that Snape was refereeing the match.

Rose opened a chocolate frog that sat in front of her when she saw it was Dumbledore, she turned the card around and read the description on the back. That's when she read Nicolas Flamel's name on the card.

"I found him." Rose sprung up Rose walked closer to Harry, Hermione and Ron, "Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel." Rose read from the card, Hermione jumped to her feet, looking overly excited. Rose, Harry and Ron's eyes followed Hermione as she ran up towards the girls' dormitories, only to come back with an enormous old book in her arms

"I never thought to look in here. I got this out of the library weeks ago for a bit of light reading." Hermione said Ron and Harry turned to one another, "This is light?" Ron asked. Rose told him to be quiet as Hermione started to look something up.

"Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher Stone," Hermione whispered as she read from the books. "The what?" Ron and Harry asked together. "Honestly, don't you two read? Look -- read that, there." Rose said and pointed out where the two boys should read. 

"See? The dog must be guarding Flamel's stone. I bet he asked Dumbledore to keep it safe for him, because they're friends and he knew someone was after it, that's why he wanted the stone moved out of Gringotts." Hermione said and Rose nodded in agreement.

"A stone that makes gold and stops you from ever dying. No wonder Snape's after it. Anyone would want it."  Harry says to them, Rose rolled her eyes of the thought that Snape is after the stone.

"No wonder we couldn't find Flamel in that  Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry." Ron says, "He's not exactly recent if he's six hundred and sixty-five, is he?"

The Quidditch game came and went. The Gryffindor team made it into the finals, which made everyone happy because there might be a chance that they win the cup. Harry had informed them that he overheard Snape and Quirrell talking and that  Snape was after the stone, not that Rose actually believed that, because why would Snape want to live forever.

Rosalie and Hermione had started to prepare for their first Hogwarts exams, Harry and Ron, on the other hand, had not even bothered to start.  "Hermione, Rose, the exams are ages away," Ron says to them and Harry nodded in agreement to Ron's statement.

"Ten weeks." Hermione snapped at them, "That's not ages, that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel." Rose says to them

"But we're not six hundred years old." Ron reminded them, "Anyway, what are you studying for? You two already know it all." Ron says to them, Rose just glared up at them.

The four of them decided to go see Hagrid to ask him about the Stone. They entered Hagrid's hut. Harry brought up the fact that he thinks Snape is after the Stone.

"Rubbish. Snape's one of the teachers protecting the Stone." Hagrid said and Harry stared at Hagrid in surprise. Rose zoned out of the conversation as she saw the pot that Hagrid had over the fire, starting to move.

"Now, you four better go, I have things to do," Hagrid said, just as he said that the pot moved.  "What is that? Hagrid?" Rose asked, Hagrid sighed and walked to the pot, he put on kitchen gloves and reached into the pot pulling out a huge black egg.