Chapter 59

The first thing he heard was the river. The sound of flowing water, with the everyday noises from insects that inhabit the area.He could hear himself breathing slowly. He felt something hard on his back, he was leaning against something. He forced himself to open his eyes, only having them half closed. His body ached all over, he looked around and found himself leaning against a tree. How did he get here and what happened?

He froze completely as he met its gaze again. His breath was shaking, his eyes were quivering and he felt his heart skip a beat. Then he saw the violet pupils, he felt himself calm down as wonder and fascination began to replace fear. The beowolf moved to his right leg and licked the wound. He flinched as the pain stung him. But he understood the gesture, it had no intention of killing him. It glanced at him once more before moving away. He watched it move to his right side with wary eyes.

" Krissi!" A small voice called out. A girl with bright red hair came into view with a basket in hand. She was coming this way, he was a huntsman and huntsmen protect the innocent. He lurched forward quickly as stood between the girl and the grimm. He had no weapon, that was fine, he'd trained hand to hand combat. He cried out as a sharp pain shot up from his wound and his legs gave out. The girl caught him as he fell to his hands and knees. He put an arm in front of her to keep her behind him as the grimm slowly approached.

" Stay behind me." He managed to say in a raspy voice, his throat felt raw. The girl moved towards the beast.

" No, no. It's okay." She reassured him. " Krissi's 'tame'." The young beowolf nuzzled her and she giggled. " See? It's okay." He struggled to find the words for the incident.

" H-How are you doing that? That- That's impossible..." He said in his raspy voice. No one can control the grimm, none that he knows of.

" What? You mean Krissi? She's awesome!" She said petting the beowolf. " The Sparrow 'tamed' her. She said I could keep her."

" Uh, who?"

" Sparrow! She's super cool. But anything else is top secret!" She smiled wide cheerfully but her face fell as she saw his wound. " Your leg."

" It's nothing. I've dealt with worse, trust me. Just, perhaps you could an ambulance to pick me up." Right, it's nothing he says. He knew very well the dangers of it getting infected and he already lost a lot of blood.

" I can't do that. I...don't have a scroll. Sorry." She walked to wards him and helped him up. " Come on, we should clean it first." She said as she guided him to the riverside. He noted how she was well equipped with first aid skills, not everyone can do so. " Hold still, okay?" She cupped her hands and closed her eyes, trying to concentrate. A spark flashed and a flame grew, she gently placed it over the open wound. Oobleck hissed over the pain, still it was quite the handy semblance.

" My name is Doctor Bartholomew Oobleck. I am a teacher of Beacon Academy and a trained huntsman." The girl stared at him for a bit, just listening. " And you are?" He prompted her.

" Uh- I, my name is A-Aaaa, Blackbird!" She managed to say, remembering what her guardians have told her. She needed to be cautious, he could be here for anything.

" Blackbird?" He tilted his head slightly and fixed his glasses. " With or without the 'Aaa'?"

" Without- Wait, you're not weirded out by my name?" He chuckled lightly and smiled.

" Let's just say that I've met a couple, interesting people named after birds. One of them was called Qrow with a 'Q'. Now that, is a little strange." She giggled lightly as he chuckled with her. " Well, uh, little Blackbird, was it?" She nodded. " It's been fun but if you could, perharps you could direct me to the nearest path out of these woods. Thank you for helping me and your beowolf too."

" Uh.." Blackbird's eyes shifted left and right. " I don't know any way out...sorry."

" You're joking."

Veena watched the night sky as she walked through the garden. It's almost time. The ships would be ready by the docks to take them as close as possible to Salem. As the attacks go down, she'll be sure to keep the rest of her entourage busy. She prayed her theory was right, she cannot risk wasting such precious lives. At the same time, she has not received word from the small flock she left in one of Mistral's docks. She sent a small number of sea birds to blend in with the regular birds, but no report has reached her. She brushed it off and entered the Headmistress' office, a lot was in mind.