Chapter 46

The sound of the crowd cheering, the screaming and thumping, the energy given off by the event. It was exhilarating. Today was the day. The beginning of the 41 st Vytal Festival. Zea was dressed in a shining silk cloak, decorated with gold and silver embroidery and the jewel on her head complimented it. She was beaming with pride as she walked to the centre of the building. No other headmaster has ever fone this before, making her the very first.

" Welcome one and all, to the 41st Vytal Festival Tournament. I am Zea Ashen, Headmistress of Shade Academy. And I am proud to host this year's event!" The crowd cheered. She could feel the energy of their excitement. " Now settle down everyone, before we begin, I will personally perform an opening act to celebrate the occasion. It makes me very happy to see my students grow, they are my legacy and I will not rest until they become the best of the best." The crowd cheered louder.

Team RWBY was watching with full anticipation, the last time they heard her sing was a year ago and they remembered how soft her voice can be. The crowd settled and the building was seilent, a song started to play. Her voice echoed through the colosseum, it captivated the people who heard it. They felt hope and faith rise within them, Ruby spotted Veena in the crowd and could see her smiling a very calm and sweet smile.

" Now, now Professor Ashen." A figure appeared walking onto the stage with a smile as she finished. " That was beautiful. And as promised, the Blackbirds are here!" His electric blue eyes glistened as the crowd started to mummer and slowly they started to applaud. " My name is Zack Oxton. Honorary leader of the Blackbirds. Here's the thing, my dad had no idea. Surprise, Dad!" He said waving at the camera. " Well, I'm grounded for life." Some laughed at his remark, his sense of recklessness and general carefree attitude was infectious, there was barely any tension in the air. " Okay, so, I know you've all seen us fight but let me tall ya," He leaned in the microphone. " You ain't seen nothing yet." They could hear a few girls scream as he winked and the crowd fawned over his mischievous smirk. " Alright then, do you other guys think you can beat our level of bad ass? Well if you do," He leaned in for effect. " Prove it on the field." Another wave of screaming hit the crowd. He was charming and then there was that smirk of his.

" He sounds like..."

" Ozpin?" Yang finished for her sister. " Yeah, but he kinda talks like Uncle Qrow."

" You're right." Weiss agreed.

" Weird...." Blake said. " But interesting." Oscar watched them carefully, the other man within him was thinking about something. There was something somewhat significant about the Blackbirds.

" The first round shall be...Team CRDL and Team VLOR!" One of the teachers, acting as announcer told the audience. " Being a senior to team VLOR, team CRDL has a fair chance of winning this round."

" Oh, yes!" The other teacher agreed. " But be warned, team VLOR are known as among the most fearsome in their year, quite the talent they displayed during class. I should know, I taught them." He said proudly.

" So what will it be? The experienced or the prodigies? Let's see how they fare." Team CRDL smirked victoriously, feeling confident that they'll win based off of age gaps and 'experience'. Surely, team VLOR would be easy pickings. Wouldn't they? A faunus with prosthesics, two girls they never heard of and a blind kid. It should be easy pickings. Prodigies? With a blind person on their team, how?

" Ready for a smack down, kids?" Cardin said pounding his fists confidently. Owen grumbled as Veena smiled. " What's with the smile?"

" Liam, Owen." She called them softly, right before the round began. " Pheonix." They nodded as she and Rizzie took a couple steps back. Owen pulled out her weapons, a silver bladed fan with purple and red dust at each end. Russel lunged forward with his dual daggers but was easily blocked by her fan. She pulled out another fan, the explosion caused Russel to be flung across the arena and disqualified.

Sky tried to attack with his halberd but was met with Liam's steel wings. In a slit second, his weapon was knocked out of his hand and he recieved three kicks to the side. One hit to the stomach and he was thrown back. Dove wasn't doing any better against Owen. The way she moved was like a dancing flame, her fan blades were barely used for her attacks, whereas she used the blunt ends to hit him. She drove him back, causing him to bump into Cardin, followed by Sky.

" Owen!" Liam called her and positioned his wings. She ran at him and jumped off him. He flew up and caught her, then he flung her higher, where she got a good view of the arena. She opened her blades wide and threw them at team CRDL's direction. The blades split and surrounded them.

" Hah, missed!" Cardin shouted.

" Hey," Liam's index finger and thumb were touching, his black gloves were not for show. " Get roasted." He snapped his fingers and a spark ignited, causing the blades to exploid.

" Ooh, triple wipe out!" The teacher announced. " Team VLOR advances to the next round."