Chic

"Alright, everything is looking good. Your baby is very healthy, growing pretty fast, that's good. Your baby can also hear now, not great but it will be able to hear. A lot of parents start reading or singing to their baby's around this time." Alice smiles at the thought. "Do you want to know the gender?"

"Yes please."

"You're having a boy!" The doctor yells her excitedly. "Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"I'll give you a moment, I'll print your ultrasound for you. Would you like an extra copy again?"

"Please."

Alice's eyes well up once the doctor leaves the room. "Hi there baby boy, I'm your mommy. We're going to go see your daddy today, he's going to be so excited when we tell him the news! He loves you a lot too."

_____

"Hi, I'm here to see FP Jones."

"We'll let him know he has a visitor and someone will escort you to see him."

"Thank you. Also, could you give him this for me?" Alice hands the woman an envelope containing the ultrasound of their baby. "It's an ultrasound, he wants to keep being updated."

"Of course, m'am."

She's escorted to a room and takes a seat at one of the booth's, awaiting FP's arrival.

He smiles at her once he sees her and she returns it. "Hi, baby! I missed you, haven't seen you in a few days."

"I missed you too, it's been a little busy. I finally went back to school and I've been working on the Blue & Gold a lot."

"Hal still working there with you?"

"Yeah he is, but shockingly he's changed. Is actually kind of nice now. Asked me to apologize to you for him."

"Did you tell him I'm in prison? Bet he had a field day with that."

"No, I haven't told anyone. Figured you'd want it a secret. I told him you transferred to Southside High."

He nods. "How's Chickpea doing?"

"Actually I have some exciting news!"

He perks up at that. "You do? What is it?"

"I found out the gender today."

"You did? What is it? What are we having?" The excitement in his voice melts her heart.

"We're having a boy, a mini FP!" She happily announces.

"A boy! Yes, I'm having a boy!"

Alice chuckles at his excitement and how loud he's announcing it. "I have a picture of him," she tells him, digging into her coat pocket for the picture. "I left the woman in the front a copy for you." She puts the photo up to the glass and he smiles bigger than she's ever seen.

"That's our baby boy." He turns away briefly to wipe his eyes and turns back, not wanting to ever take his eyes off of the picture. "I love getting picture of our baby, never stop sending them, Al."

"I won't. I always ask for an extra copy."

"Next time can you bring me a picture of you? So I can have a picture of both of you?"

"Sure. Maybe when I'm showing more I can get a picture of the belly for you."

"I'd love that. Hell, I'd take a picture a day for the next few months if they'd let me, I want to watch our little Chickpea grow."

"I think I've got a middle name for him, I was thinking about it on my way here."

"Yeah? What is it?"

"Forsythe Pendleton. Or maybe just Pendleton, maybe just Forsythe but I want to have at least one of the names in there."

"I love it, baby. What about the first name?"

"I thought we already decided on Chic that night on the bridge?"

"I just didn't know if you still liked it."

"Of course I do. Like it even more since you chose it."

"I love you. Both of you."

"We love you too."

"Hey, can he hear yet?"

"Yeah he can, just found that out today."  

"Put the phone on your belly." She raises an eyebrow at him in confusion but does as he asks and smiles when she realizes he's talking to their baby. "Hi, Chic. It's your daddy." She can feel the baby moving around at the sound of FP's voice. "I promise that when I get out of here we're gonna have so much fun. You've got a damn good mama, I know she's taking good care of you so you be good for her. Don't go making her all nauseous and kicking her all night... I love you little man, you and your mama."

He motions for her to put the phone back up to her ear. "So, what'd you two talk about?"

"Oh nothing, just a man to man conversation."

"He was wiggling around as soon as you started talking, I could feel him."

"You think he knows who I am?"

"Of course, you're his daddy. I'm going to make sure he always knows."