Chapter Seventy-Eight

Thea Diggory had been sitting in the kitchen by the window, a mug of peppermint tea clutched in her hands as she tried to calm her nerves.

Today was the day.

After several weeks of waiting, today was finally the day when the three Auror trainees would be informed whether or not they successfully made it through the training course. Despite, what everyone told her whenever it was brought up in conversation, Thea couldn't help being nervous about the whole thing. She had a horrible feeling the pit of her stomach that she couldn't shake until the letter arrived.

Tonks had joined Thea for a little bit, trying to calm the girl's nerves but had eventually left with Remus who had had his own words to say to the girl. They both knew how important this was to Thea, so much, in fact, it had become a topic of conversation as they ate lunch in each other's company.

"I'm worried about her." Tonks had voiced her concern first.

"I am as well. No matter what anyone tells her, she doesn't believe anyone."

"What can we do?" Tonks asked.

"Not much really, unfortunately. We just need to be with her and support anything that happens after she opens the letter."

"Even if that includes kidnapping Robards until he is forced to pass her," Tonks said with a slight chuckle.

"Yes, including that," Remus replied, a smile evident on his face as well.

Thea was too busy trying to read the tea-leaves while doing an impression of Professor Trelawney during her third year, laughing at herself as she did it. It had been her brother's idea to do Divination during their third year, he had claimed that it would be good to learn as much as possible about different aspects of the Wizarding World before making any decision on a career.

As usual, Thea's brother had been correct but that didn't mean that by the second lesson, Thea already wanted to quit the class, Professor Trelawney was a little too eccentric and crazy for her liking.

In fact, Thea was so enthralled in her thoughts that she didn't notice the large bird swooping into her window until its beak tapped on the window startling Thea out of her thoughts. Her eyes went wide as she looked at the bird holding a large envelope in its talons. Taking a deep breath, Thea slowly unhatched the window letting the large bird fly into the kitchen landing on the back of a chair before cleaning its feathers. Thea slowly walked over to the bird and began to take the envelope off its talons when she was interrupted by a loud crack from outside followed by someone entering into the apartment in a hurry.

Thea quickly spun around her wand clutched in her hand, the other hand still holding onto the letter, a habit she had quickly developed as the war progressed, it was too risky nowadays to place blind trust in whoever let themselves in through her front door. However, she relaxed when she realized that it was Elliot standing there, holding a similar envelope in his hand waving it around like a maniac.

"Thea!" He called out. "Do you know yet?"

"I don't!" Thea shouted before pulling the letter off the bird properly. "Just give me a second."

With Elliot standing in front of her, shaking with excitement, the room fell silent as Thea slit the envelope open letting it fall to the floor once she had retrieved the letter out. Her eyes scanned across the page, her face devoid of any emotion until she had finished reading the letter, admiring the final signature of Gawain Robards.

Elliot, stood impatiently before her, hating her emotionless expression as he wasn't able to tell what she was thinking like he usually could.

"Well, what is the verdict?" Elliot asked, his foot tapping anxiously watching as his best friend looked up at him slowly, still clutching the letter tightly like she had no intention of letting go.

A sudden smile burst across Thea's face causing Elliot to take a few steps backward in shock. "I did it! I got it!" Thea shouted, fist-pumping in the air.

"I told you, that you would!" Elliot shouted as well, matching Thea's ever-growing excitement.

"Well, what about you?" Thea asked.

"What?"

"Did you get in?"

"Of course, I did. Did my excited energy mean nothing to you?" Elliot asked her.

"No. Well, I assumed. I just wanted to be sure."

"Thea! Do you know what this means now?"

"We are going to be Aurors!"

Elliot had left a few hours ago to go visit his parents and to tell them the news after the two of them had had an impromptu celebration of their own creation to celebrate the news. Thea had wanted to head to the Burrow to tell Molly and the others straight away but had decided to wait for Tonks to arrive wanting her to be the second person she told. 

The woman was like a sister to her. Tonks had provided a lot of guidance and advice throughout Thea's Auror training and Thea knew she would appreciate her being the second person who knew. 

However, by the time Tonks arrived back the apartment, she was radiating with happiness of her own kind. Thea could sense it, the second Tonks walked in the door, her usual bubbly smile was extremely wide and she almost seemed to be walking with a hop in her step. 

"I have news!" They both shouted in unison, the second they saw each other, before breaking into giggles. 

"You go," Tonks said. 

"No, you go," Thea replied, eager to know of what Tonks' news was if she didn't already know.

"Well, Remus asked me to marry him."

"And?" Thea prompted.

"I said yes!"

Even though Tonks and Remus had only been a couple for a few weeks, no-one could deny that the two of them were hopelessly in love with each other. The amount of time that had passed between the two of them when Remus was refusing to admit his feelings and Tonks was trying to make her feelings even more well known had certainly only added to the whole situation. And Thea was bursting with happiness with the news of the two. 

"Oh my gosh, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you two!"

"And what was your news?" Tonks asked. "As if I don't already know!"

"Guess who is one of the newest Aurors of the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic?"

"You!" Tonks cried happily. 

"Yep!" Thea replied, dancing on the spot in her joy. "I still can't believe you are getting married." 

"To be honest, I can't believe it either and it's only been an hour."