Chapter Seventeen: Always.

Early morning had smothered the small town. He hung there for a moment, drained from the travel - his eyes ached from straining under the harsh light of the train.

When the sound of birds fluttered briefly within his ears he thought of you, how you'd looked under the freckles of light, how you'd gazed in awe, your touch and gaze. He almost stumbled, when you'd said you'd be off meeting Kuroos mom it had all hit Suga at once.

You were getting close to someone else, you wouldn't need him anymore. No more late night chats, no more hugs, no more 'almost' moments. Because pretending that he had you was still better than letting someone else have you, even if pretending meant catching pathetic glances, being able to be so close in company with you and to work as a team. He'd been foolish and now it was coming to bite back at him.

He let himself reach limply for the door handle, pushing lightly having already unlocked the door. The smell of incense and faint ginger swarmed him and suddenly he found himself rushing in, desperate for comfort.

"Mom?," he called, sliding his suitcase into the corner,"mom you here? You up?"

He turned the corner, huffing a grin in the familiarity of the place. Family photos, ceramic pots and figures his mother had made.

He ran his eyes over the open plan kitchen, still bright and yellow, clearly his moms influence. He half expected to see her, huddled in the corner making pancakes. She always made pancakes.

Instead, his eyes laid on a strong frame. Greying auburn hair, sharp features and a gaze that was out of character, off guard, a coffee mug in his hand. His shoulders covered in his pyjama shirt still whispered of the strength that had been built in them over the years of dedication to his sport...

It was Rin.

It was...

"Oh," Suga felt the air build in his chest, vulnerability spreading through him, suffocating the relief that had previously washed over him,"...Hey...dad."

-

When you got back from your trip you felt tired, not in a bad way though. Kuroos mom who you later discovered was called 'Yumi' which quite literally means 'gift from god' and how else would you describe a woman that bakes you several cakes 'just because' ,cracks hilarious and smart witted jokes, birthed a handsome son and smiles like an angel?

Mostly you were shocked as too how much closer you felt to Kuroo. He talked about his other family members, and even on the briefest moment - about his dad. You talked continuously when you sneaked into his room in the middle of the night , you discovered that he loved music from the 70's and 80's - much to your surprise. And when he played them for you on his phone, an ear piece each, he mouthed all the lyrics to 'the boys are back in town' by Thin Lizzy and even had a knack for mimicking the instrumental. You openly talked about your experiences, even the hard ones to discuss - though he didn't ever push you, only ever stroked your hand in comfort or reassured you that he understood. Though you didn't dare mention anything that had ever happened between you and Suga, you didn't want to ruin what had just become strong between you and a Kuroo.

It felt strange, being home again. Well, at least in the apartment again. The whole place was silent and...tidy?

You rolled your suitcase with you as you prodded over to the kitchen counter where a piece of paper lay, held down by a used coffee cup.

"Off to go visit home. Be back in a day or so! Pie in the fridge + ice cream in the freezer!
Stay safe.

                    Always,
                                    Suga."