Chapter thirty four: Old friend.

'He peeped his head into the classroom, his fingers tentatively gripping the frame of the door, it was worn under his palms - inferring the many times people had been in the position that he was - which gave him an odd sense of confidence.

His eyes landed firmly on his target after brushing against the many empty desks that sat in a precise pattern against the smooth floor. His friend sat there at one of the desks, his silver curls falling around his face as he scribbled swiftly on a tatty notebook that lay limply before him.

Oikawa wasted no time, he quickly rushed towards his associate, knocking his hip against the square tables as he did so, causing the chairs to click and buckle in their wake.

"Suga!," he sang, landing before the other boy, a volleyball supported against his hip.

The fair featured fourteen year old turned his attention to the setter, his brown eyes tired,"what?"

"It's practise time man!," he chuckled,"we need you down there, we need the great kni-."

"DONT CALL ME THAT."

Oikawa jumped slightly, having to grasp at the volleyball that had been seconds from hitting the floor.

"W-why?," he asked, raising a chocolate brown eyebrow,"it's cool! You're like famous now-."

"Don't be stupid, it's just a nickname- it doesn't mean anything."

"Ouch," Oikawa pouted,"Are you okay Suga? You seem a lil'...grouchy."

Suga cocked his head to the side as he looked at his friend,"why are you even practising huh? We haven't got anymore official games-."

"Yeah but when we go to Aobajohsai," he found himself grinning,"we'll need to be at our best!"

"Tōru, I don't even know if I'm going to Aobajohsai," he turned away, slamming his notebook closed with his bandages fingers, agitation growing inside him the more Oikawa persisted.

"Well of course you are!," he placed a hand on Sugas desk,"we're a team, we've gotta-."

"WE'RE NOT A TEAM!," Suga snapped,"THE REST OF US ARE JUST THE LITTLE MINIONS YOU DICTATE TO! GREAT KING!"

The boy with glossy cocoa-coloured waves stumbled back a little in surprise, the nickname he'd once ravished in - suddenly stung. He took a deep breath in through his nose,"THAT'S NOT TRUE AND YOU KNOW IT! WE'RE A TEAM! WE-."

"SHUT UP!," Suga stood, his hazel eyes flashing abruptly on the boy,"What are we even doing it for huh? We'll never be good enough! It's not going to help us! It's just some stupid game!"

Oikawa stared, his jaw hardening. This wasn't like Suga, in fact it wasn't Suga. Koushi was the kind of guy who agreed to practise with Tōru at ridiculous hours, watching games over and over until their eyes stung and attempting new techniques until their joints ached and their knees were scraped to the max. They shared the same reckless passion, the same urgency to be the best they could and when they joined with the others - they were victorious...this wasn't the same person.

"Just a game?," he whispered, feeling his own scared hands beginning to ball into fists,"Suga how could you say that! You know how much this means to us-."

"To you," he corrected,"this is what you want Tōru! Not me!"

"You're lying!," the setter moved forward,"This has been all you've wanted for years! You told me! You told everyone! I don't get it-."

"Just leave me alone!," he moved to walk past his companion, but Tōru reached out, gripping the boy by his uniform, forcing him to stay.

"YOU'RE NOT LEAVING KOU! NOT UNTIL YOU TELL ME WHATS GOING ON-."