Unbroken Silence

Catalina POV

I nervously swallowed as Shane removed his arm from around me, only to grab my hand softly. His mother seemed nice but she wasn't really the one I had to worry about. I had heard story's of how terrifying his father could be, how coldhearted and murderous his father had been when he was the alpha himself. I seen Sara stop before she turned slowly smiling, she looked at Shane.

                "Your father wanted to see you before dinner, he had a few things to go over with you for the upcoming events. I'll take good care of Catalina while your talking business with your father." She smiled as she took my hand gently leading me into the kitchen, I glanced around as we made our way through the house.

I swear my heart never raced so fast in my life, as soon as we entered the kitchen she let go of my hand and moved towards the island in the middle of the kitchen. I moved forward slowly, glancing around I seen we were not alone. Hazel squealed before she rushed over to me, hugging my tightly in excitement. I smiled softly as I hugged her back, Hazel had taken to me right way, from the first moment we met.

                "See mama she's sweeter than your sweet tea! I'm glad she's big brother Shane's mate!" Hazel smiled as she moved away from me, Hazel was seriously just the cutest kid I've ever seen.

I blushed softly as I looked at her with a small smile. Sara smiled as she motioned for me to come over, she had groceries on the counter. I smiled softly as I slowly made my way over, I felt myself slowly calming down even without Shane's presence.

                  "I'm really sorry to do this when we just met but would you mind helping with dinner?" Sara smiled as she rubbed her neck softly, "Zachary should have been home by now to help but he got stuck in town for another hour or so."

                  "Yeah, it's no problem I wouldn't mind helping." I smiled at her, she smiled as she nodded before she told me what she wanted me to do. Sara was super sweet, I could see where Shane got it from.

I smiled softly as I began to cut the vegetables, Sara smiled as she tenderized the meat before she lit the stove. She splashed a small amount of oil in the pan before she placed the first piece of meat in the sizzling oil. I smiled as I placed the newly cut veggies into a bowl to be cooked before Sara asked me to entertain Hazel while she cooked the food also as we waited for  her husband Haden and Shane to finish talking.

              "Let's go play in my room till dinner!" Hazel grabbed my hand quickly before she started to lead the way out of the kitchen.

                    "Sure." I smiled as hazel pulled me in the direction of the stairs, if you thought walking up stairs in hells was bad try it with a small child clinging to your arm. I nearly died walking up the staircase, I was just glad that I wasn't walking down them. Hazel smiled as she pushed open her door and lead me into her very bright pink bedroom. Toys covered the floor and bed, I had to watch where I stepped so I didn't break anything. Hazel squealed as she pulled out what looked like a hair set, she asked me to have a seat. I smiled softly as I watched her pull a few things for her hair set.  Hazel was a very patient hair dresser, she had been doing my hair for a while but everytime she would look at the style she would decide to change it. I sat on her bed for half an hour before a loud knock echoed into the room before the door opened. Hazel smiled as Shane popped his head into the room. Shane smiled before he made his way completely inside.

                 "Mom sent me up here to get you both for dinner." Shane smiled as he came over taking my hand, helping me up. Hazel giggled as she hurried out the door and to the dining room, I could only imagine what I looked like. "It's a nice look on you my dear."

I could tell he was joking as he chuckled softly to himself, I turned towards the mirror. Half my hair was in braids while the other half was down. I smiled softly as I shook my head before I made my hair match, before Shane took my hand and lead me downstairs. My heart pounded louder and faster as we got closer to the dining room, Shane squeezed my hand before looking at me with a smile. Every fiber for my being tingled with nervousness, I held onto his hand softly trying not to make it noticeable that I was super freaked out right now. I didn't want to worry him anymore than I already do. His childhood home was full of pictures of him when he was a child along with picture of his siblings and family photos. I had to say that he was a very cute kid but I might just be an objective third party, seeing all the pictures had brought back memories of when I was a child. Laughing with my family, going on picnics and play dates, all the amazing memories of the best times of my life before I met Shane.

            "Don't worry everything is going to be fine." He smiled as he continued into the dining room, where the table was full of food, his father, mother, sister, and brother sitting around it. I swallowed as we made it to the table, Shane smiled as he pulled my seat out for me.

                 "T-hank you." I whispered as I looked at the table as Shane sat down beside me and held my hand. He was trying his best to make me feel more at home here, to help me not feel as nervous.

I could feel his father's gaze on me for quite some time, before Shane introduces me to his father with a huge smile. I glanced over seeing his father eyeing me as if sizing me up. A shiver ran up my shine as I held his gaze for what felt like an eternity. The silence was nearly suffocating as Sara sat down and began to pile food onto the plates around the table. Once the food was served Shane's father's attention went to it. Then I looked down at my plate now full of food, Sara smiled as she told everyone to dig in.

Shane's hand slowly let go of my mine so he could eat, he smiled at me before I slowly began to eat the food that was presented on my plate. With each bite I began to feel more and more nauseous and I knew it was because fof the stress I was feeling right now. My heart still pounding against my chest as the silence grew, my family had always talked at least a little bit while eating but maybe they were a little different...

            Catalina stop acting like Haden is going to reach across the table and rip your throat out!

               "So Catalina, my son explained that you are the daughter of the beta in your old pack. He also explained most of the details leading you to be here in our territory. Though hearing it from a third party is like sipping cheap wine from a red solo cup, I would like to hear your story from you." Oh the silence was far better than this, why'd I have to think that. I swallowed softly before I looked up from my food.