Chapter 48-How Do You Sleep 🕒Friday, December 20th, 1963🕞

"I don't deserve you." I remarked with a beam as I admired George from where I sat, perched at the end of his bed. A week had gone by since John's confrontation and I hadn't spoken to him, let alone any of the boys since, except for George of course whom I was spending my Friday evening with. The boys had all been extremely busy preparing for their Christmas tour and show as they would be playing a number of different theaters throughout Europe in the coming week. This was the first night in several days I had gotten George to myself and I was cherishing every moment we got together in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

We had spent the night at the movies and a nice quiet dinner at home as Ringo was over at Maureen's for the weekend. That meant George and I had the whole flat to ourselves.

George, who stood at the other side of the room, graced me with one of his big toothy grins as he ran a comb through his hair which had gotten increasingly longer since I had arrived. He turned and bent down to peck my nose, making me giggle.

"No pet. It is you I don't deserve."

He plopped down beside me on the bed and picked up his guitar.

"Wanna hear a song?" he asked. I grinned, nodding in excitement as he was always so reluctant to share his originals.

"Of course I do!"

He strummed into an instrumental riff he had written that sounded much like Cry For A Shadow or Catswalk, one of the old standards, playing through it a couple of times. Then the tempo slowed as he played an eerily familiar riff and my heart lurched in my throat. Before I could say anything, he stopped playing and stared intently into my eyes.

"Wendy. I wrote you another song." he said softly. "It's not finished yet but it really means a lot to me and it's inspired entirely by you. Anyway, it's called Something and I hope you like it."

He strummed the beautiful melody once again and I closed my eyes, sighing in defeat. What the heck. Wild horses couldn't have made me stop the man.

Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

Somewhere in her smile she knows
That I don't need no other lover
Something in her style that shows me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

You're asking me will my love grow
I don't know, I don't know
You stick around and it may show
I don't know, I don't know

When he got to the end of the bridge he strummed a C, letting it ring out.

"That's all I have so far. Do you like it?"

His big brown eyes were shining and he was looking at me so intently I was speechless.

"Oh George..." was all I could muster. There were tears in my eyes. "It's...beautiful."

"Darling." he chuckled, patting my back. "So good it made you cry?"

I bit my lip and nodded, not wanting to tell him and ruin this beautiful moment. But I knew I had to.

"George." I said slowly, furrowing my brow.

"What is it?" he said, his smile drooping. He frowned. "Oh...did I screw up again?"

I nodded. "George, that song goes on to be one of the most iconic songs in all of history. It goes onto be covered by Frank Sinatra. It's on your very last album as a group." I paused. "But that's not till 1969..."