Chapter 24-Act Naturally 🕒Friday, November 15th, 1963🕞

I spent the rest of the evening moping around and keeping to myself. I think that Jane knew something was wrong, but she didn't say anything. I honestly don't think she knew what to say.
The following morning I awoke and trying to keep a stiff upper lip, put my best foot forward. I spoke briefly with Jane and, boarding the bus, made my way downtown for my photo shoot.

Entering the building, I couldn't help but grin upon spotting Adrian behind her desk as usual.

"Good morning, Wendy!" she chirped, standing up and coming around to greet me. "Are you ready for your first photo shoot?" she asked. I sighed and nodded.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Honestly, I was a little nervous. I had never been shot for anything before, especially not a magazine.

We took a few steps before I stopped altogether, gulping slightly. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. Maybe I shouldn't be there at all. This would put a spin on Vogue history, that was for sure. Adrian turned and faced me, a look of concern forming her generally happy countenance.

"Wendy?" she asked sweetly. "Is anything the matter, love?"

I swallowed, tears beginning to brim the corners of my eyes.

"I-it's-it's just that I don't think I'll be able to do this."

Adrian frowned.

"But, why?" She placed her hands on her hips. "Don't tell me you don't think you're pretty enough, love. You're gorgeous!"

I sighed.

"It's not that, it's just..."

I was cut off suddenly by two chattering girls who spotted us and quickly rushed over.

"You're the new girl, aren't you?" said the brunette on the right.

"That's right, she's Lucy's temporary replacement." answered the blonde on the left. I blinked my eyes in shock. It couldn't be, could it?

"I'm Pattie and this is Susan." she said, extending her hand in my direction. "My, you're pretty!"

I stood speechless, staring up dumbfoundedly at the model -the model who was supposed to marry the man I loved.

"Wendy." I finally choked out, smiling weakly and looking from Pattie to Susan. Susan raised her eyebrows, her mouth hinged slightly.

"You know who she looks like?" she exclaimed suddenly, jabbing Pattie in the arm excitedly.

"Who?"

"Miss Shrimpton!"

"I disagree. Jean has so much more class than she does."

"Oh, I don't think so. She's worked with other agencies before."

"I don't believe you!"

"Well, why don't you ask her yourself!"

"Why don't you?"

They turned and studdied me with their eyes, scanning me up and down like I was some kind of exhibit at the zoo.

Annoyed, I turned on my heel and walked out, offended by their remarks and tired of being talked about in third person like I wasn't there at all.

"Well, how about that!" I heard Susan exclaim in her plastic voice.

"Of all the nerve!" Pattie whined. Ugh. How George fell for her I'd never know.

Adrian rushed past them and down the corridor where I was making my way God knows where.