Chapter 10: Jenalyn

Sunday, 10:12 A.M.

I can hear Evelyn's voice through the open window of Dane's apartment, and though part of me wants to grow excited- I can't help a heavy pit from forming in my stomach.

Rob is probably with her...

"Ev got her ass beat a couple of days ago..." Dane says, obviously hearing the same voice through the window. "-don't want it to come as a surprise to you, Princess, but that's the shit that happens here when you screw up. You remember that, right?"

I nod my head mindlessly, watching hard as he plops his duffel bag on the coffee table and tears into it. I know the contents it holds- and I know under any other circumstances, I'd practically beg him to break me off just a little bit.

And a little more. And a little more.

I can't do that now though- not with this life growing inside of me.

I have to do this right..

Dane eyeballs me from across the table. I can practically feel his skepticism as he tears into a baggie and doesn't hear my voice, or see my pleading eyes as he does. 

"You're quiet, Lil Bit." He says after a few moments, only to be interrupted by the front door swinging open to reveal Evelyn and Rob.

I want to be thankful for their interruption, but despite the loud clamor of Evelyn practically jogging across the living to greet me- I can still feel Dane's hard eyes on me. 

"Jenalyn! I didn't know you were coming home, are you-" Ev squeals as she goes to pull me into a hug. She freezes when she sees me eyeballing her swollen eye, busted lip, and split forehead. 

"Back up, Ev." Dane suddenly demands, his voice booming through the living room as he stands to retrieve a stack of money from Rob. "Don't get your fucking grime all over our little pop star! We've got some big plans for her today."

My heart tightens in my chest, but I don't even bother to say anything. I'll find a way to shimmy out of this a appointment later- right now, I just need to try and keep the thousands of thoughts racing through my head in a single formed line.

Evelyn nudges me as Dane turns his back to put his money away. "You look so good!" she mouths with a smile I can clearly sense a bit of jealousy behind. I smile back at her anyway, ignoring Rob's inquisitive glare as he pretends not to be watching us. 

-ignoring the pain in my heart it brings thinking about his baby growing inside of me...

"Evelyn, how's your face?" Dane suddenly asks as he returns to the coffee table. "Tell Jena what you did, and what came of it! She hasn't been here, it's only right we let her know what she's missing..."

Ev rolls her eyes, but I can see on her face that she won't dare defy him right now. Not in the condition she's in. 

"I broke into Dane's stash." she says with a tone in her voice that's probably going to piss him off more. "He beat me for it... what else is new?" 

I try not to look at her with sympathy. I can still feel Dane's eyes on me, and as much as I'd love to comfort Ev- it's not worth getting beat for myself... not now.

"-She broke into my stash, Lil Bit!" Dane loudly exclaims with a laugh, not allowing anyone else time to fill the silence left in the room. "Sounds like some shit you'd have done, huh?"

He cuts multiple thick lines on the table before continuing. I don't know if he even expects an answer, but I don't give him one. 

"Nah... nah, you don't got to do that now though, huh?" he answers for me after a few moments of tense silence. He grabs his rolled bill, and effortlessly snorts two lines. "You don't have to steal when you're daddy's good girl. You don't got to steal when you're gonna bring him home 2k just for opening those pretty little pop star legs! Come here, do these lines."

The room feels like it's spinning instantly. I should have asked him for some earlier when I saw him breaking it down. Had I asked for some, he probably wouldn't have wanted to give me any.

I stand still, feeling his eyes grow harder at my reluctance. He thrusts the rolled up bill toward me as soon as I make it over to him. 

"Show Ev what good girls get." He says, signaling to the two fat lines left on the table beneath him. "-and then I'll show you what they get in the bedroom."

I grab the rolled up bill because I don't know what else to do. I even go as far as to lean over the two lines with the bill lifted to my nostril. 

I feel sick though. I literally feel like I'm going to vomit right here, right now- it's probably this baby inside of me reminding me that I have the opportunity to do things right!

To give it a better life than I ever had...

"I can't..." I whisper, not even realizing I'm shaking until I hear it reflected in my voice. "I- I don't want any..." 

I can't move from my position, leaned over the table with the bill still held to my face. I can't move, but I can feel everyone else in the room shift uncomfortably as soon as the words escape my lips. 

"You... can't?" Dane repeats, his tone flat, and dripping with offense. "-don't... want to?" 

I'm finally able to lift myself from the table, and turn to face a very wide eyed and jaw dropped Dane. I try to make my mouth work, but nothing will come out. I know there's nothing I could say to fix this anyway- even if I decided to turn around, snort both lines, and ask for more... the words already escaped my lips, and he's already grabbed onto them. 

"She doesn't want to... she can't!" Dane exclaims after a few moments, pushing me forcefully to the side so he can stand to his feet. He turns to face Rob and Evelyn for a moment, letting out an entertained yet frustrated laugh before turning back to me. "Under whose fucking jurisdiction can't you, Jenalyn?! Because last I fucking checked, YOU DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I SAY!"

I can't hold it back any more- I'm going to throw up. Everything inside of me is shaking.

"I'm sorry..." I mumble, trying and failing to keep the acid from coming up my throat. I sloppily climb to my feet and stumble toward the bathroom, leaving all of them confused and on edge behind me.