Chapter 38: Jenalyn

Wednesday, 6:14 P.M.

It takes a few moments for me to gather my head enough to even begin to string any thoughts together. "I don't know what you're talking about?" I manage to say. 

Rob laughs the same nonchalant, yet entertained laugh he'd been doing since we got here. In an instant he sits himself up a little straighter, and changes his whole demeanor before responding with his voice raised up in a falsetto. 

"Do you know how easy it'd be for me to convince Dane you tried to fuck me in this bathroom today? That you want me, and that you always have? That you're mad he got me first? And that you never will?" He says in a such a poor impression of me, that it's almost annoying. He doesn't stop there though, he continues. "It'd be easy, because one- Evelyn. And two- we all know it's true, Rob. Even you."

I'm speechless again.

I don't think he's got all of the words exactly right- but I'm definitely able to pull together the exact memory he's referencing as my head slowly makes sense of his words.

We we're in the Poconos. It was when Rob had pulled me in to the bathroom to try and and threaten me. I only said that to him to try to hold that leverage over him, because Dane had himself convinced that it was true already.

Rob's eyes burn into me from across the table, though I couldn't meet his stare if I tried. A million thoughts and emotions run through my body in confusion and shock. I'm having a hard time forming words, but I know they're expected of me.

"So, what Rob?" I finally manage to say. I can't help the attitude from dripping off of my words as some parts of me turn my confusion into frustration. "You have a crush on me or something? You love me?" 

Rob laughs once again, his demeanor unchanging from nonchalant despite my obvious change. 

"I don't know," he shrugs his shoulders. "You're annoying as all hell... and very entitled despite the situation you've got yourself in with Dane. Oh- and promiscuous as fuck, even when it could mean your life-"

He pauses for a moment, seemingly to gather more shit talk for his apparent 'Jenalyn shitlist-' but I'm quick to interrupt.

"Okay, and what?" I snap in confusion. "I'm not in love with you, Rob."

He laughs again, seemingly even more entertained than before. He nods his head in agreement. "Oh, I know you're not." he says, matter of factly. "You're so incapable of being in love, it's almost funny. But... you did sleep with me..."

Incapable of being in love? What the fuck? Who is he to try and tell me about my life?!

"I'm promiscuous as fuck." I say immediately in defense, mimicking the exact way he did a few moments ago as I cross my arms over my chest.

Rob ignores me all together though, and picks right back up where he left off. "-and apparently, I somehow managed to knock you up over it..." he says. "You shared your little secret with me, when you could've just said it was someone else's and kept me in the dark completely."

I nod my head, but moreso to urge him to make a point than in agreement. If he's thinking I'm in love or something with him over this, he's got this shit all fucking wrong! 

"Okay? And?" I say after a moment of his silence. I can feel my nerves stand up at full attention. "He took your fucking family, Rob! I was trying to be nice!"

Rob laughs again, this time ending it short with a serious face. He leans across the table towards me.

"You may not be in love with me, Jen..." he says after a moment. "-but if I've learned anything out of all of this? It's that you at least care about me. And we all know it's true, Jen. Even you."