Chapter 52: Hayden

Thursday, 12:54 P.M.

Gage convinced me and Tyler to come down to their basement studio to listen to a song he'd been working on for the band.

As soon as he finishes the first verse, I can tell where his inspiration came from. He sings about how he wishes he got to a girl before her man did because he's a wreck now having to see them together.

He sits across from us, strumming his guitar with ease while he sings a song to his brother, about his brother's girlfriend. 

I wonder if Tyler even knows...

Gage slows after the chorus, letting us know he doesn't know what to do for the next verse. He shows us the guitar solo for both of his options- one is longer than the other, but I like them both. 

"What do you think?" he turns to Tyler and asks, "The first or second?" 

Ty responds with the first option excitedly, telling Gage it flows better with how passionate the chorus had been.

Does he really not know?

Gage nods his head in agreement, repositioning his guitar before picking up where he'd left off.

He eyeballs me as his raspy voice sings out lyrics about drowning in an endless sea without her. I have to stop myself from narrowing my eyes and reacting.

He moves onto the chorus, and Tyler sits beside me trying to catch on and harmonize in their trademark style. All I can do is sit here and feel kind of... awkward?

Not fully awkward though, because something about it stirs Jena's monster in a way I'm finding hard to ignore.

By the time Gage sings the chorus a second time, Tyler has fully caught on. He pats his legs with the beat while he sings along. 

This is just... crazy. It's completely crazy!

Both Tyler and I clap once Gage concludes his song. Tyler goes on about how they could definitely work on it for their next album, and I just sit here trying to act normal when a million thoughts still run wildly through my mind.

"It was a really great song though, Gage!" Tyler exclaims as he walks to his brother to pat him on his back. "Some girl has got you losing your mind, huh? That was pretty deep! Like how deep you sink when you see him with her, deep!" he laughs, quoting some of the lyrics.

Gage laughs too, placing his guitar down beside him to stand up and return the bro hug he was just offered. 

I don't know if I want to laugh or feel guilty for allowing this to be a thing that's exciting a part of me...

"How'd you feel about it, Hayd?" Gage asks when they're done chatting. "You've been awfully quiet over there, girlie."

I nod my head as soon as I realize he's talking to me, and stand to my feet to rush over to him for a hug. I try to match Ty's enthusiasm.

"Loved it," I say as I hug him, taking note of the partially smug smile on his face as I do. "You're quite the heartbreaker, aren't you?"

I pull away from him, offering a smile before I turn around and find my way back over to the couch where Tyler returned.

"The heartbroken," Gage corrects me, "That'd be the correct term in this situation."

Tyler nudges me as he says it, an entertained smile on his face as he points over to his brother. "He's right, ya know?" he laughs. "I definitely gotta take his side on this one!"

I laugh along with him, though my mind is definitely other places. 

How is he so oblivious?