Chapter 46: Jenalyn

Thursday, 1:01 A.M.

Dane drove me to the airport in almost complete silence. I could tell that he was mad at me, and didn't quite know what to say after everything I said in the bathroom.

I didn't know what to say to him either- other than that I was sorry, and that I didn't mean to do any of this. I didn't mean to cause any of it. 

I'm sure he didn't even hear me. 

He just repeated to me again, that he had work to get back to, and that I was to board my plane and return to California.

So now I sit here at the airport, out in the open, bruised and busted in mismatching clothes I managed to find in the back of Dane's truck. I'm unable to do anything except hide my face with my hair to keep anyone familiar with 'America's new Sweetheart' from recognizing me.

I can't go home like this...

I just... watched a murder happen. No- I caused a murder to happen! I've got a busted open jaw- and even in a sweatshirt, can't fully hide the bruise that wraps around my neck like a necklace.

I brush my hair further over my face and pull out my phone- I've got to figure something else out.

I've got new messages from Tyler that I consider ignoring. I told all of the Goldskateers goodnight a while ago claiming that I had a migraine- but totally forgot to let Ty know I might be MIA for a while... 

I open the messages. 

Tyler: Man of your
dreams, huh? 😉
Tyler: Oh, now you
want to leave me
hanging?
Tyler: Everything ok?
Tyler: I'm worried 
about you... I hope 
you just fell asleep, but
you're with the east
Coast man, aren't 
you? 😉😂
Tyler: I'm going to
head to bed in a few.
My phone is on loud if
you wake up... or 
finally get him off-
sheesh 😙
Tyler: I love you, lil
miss Robson ❤️

The last message was only sent about 7 minutes ago, I notice. Maybe he's still awake? 

I go to type a response back, but end up typing out numerous messages and deleting them because I just don't know the right thing to say.

I want to tell him there is no East Coast man, but something in my stomach just doesn't allow that to happen. I also try to tell him I was asleep, and will probably fall asleep again soon, but I'm just... unable to do it again. 

My fingers hover over my screen. There is too much going on in my mind with being out here in the open, and so vulnerable after everything I just went through- my brain is working on overdrive, yet can't even get out of the park gear. I can feel a panic attack come on as I try to process my next move.

I'm calling Tyler before I know it. Before I even have the time to decide what exactly it is that I'm going to say. 

"Hey baby mama," he answers, his voice tired though he's still awake. "I was starting to think-"

I cut him off without knowing I would, no longer in control of the hundreds of voices and opinions running rampant through my mind. 

"Can you stay up just a little while longer?" I hear my voice, though hushed, leave my mouth.

I hear Ty let out a small laugh on the other end, and grow confused only for a second before his next words spell it out a little more clearly for me. 

"Damn, ma! Missing me that bad?" he asks in a flirty but joking tone.

I brush past it without effort, whatever voice or voices filling my vocal cords already sending words back up my throat again.

"Something happened, and I need you to pick me up at the airport in about three and a half hours..." I find myself saying. "-and maybe let me stay with you for a few days..."

Tyler immediately agrees. He wakes up quickly as he grows more serious and asks repeatedly what happened, and if I'm okay. 

I can't respond to any of his questions though, my words still aren't mine- but they do continue to spill from my lips.

"And Ty... please just listen to me, okay?" I plead over the phone, my heart in my throat just about as much as my words are. "Please listen to me, and be there for me, and understand that this has to be our secret?"

I don't even attempt to catch my flight until I hear him sigh worriedly on the other end of the phone, and agree to all three of my requests. "Okay..." he says into the phone, his voice reluctant but certain. "-Our secret."