Chapter 23

Daryl's P.O.V

"How is that even possible?" Sasha asks.

"The fences are starting to crumble under the weight of the walkers. Something is attracting them more so than usual." Hershel says.

We have been discussing the matter for over an hour. It turns out something is attracting the walkers towards the prison and the sheer mass of their size is beginning to destroy the outside fence. If it continues any further, they will knock over the fence and they will have a feeding frenzy.

"Do we know the cause of this?" Carol asks.

"We think it might be foul play." Terence says.

"What do you mean?" Carol gasps.

"We have found dead rat bodies at the fences line, their heads bitten off. It seems as if someone is feeding the walkers." Glenn explains.

"Who would do that?" Sasha asks.

"We don't know. But it seems to have started a few weeks ago. Now we need to find who is doing this and stop it immediately." Hershel says.

"Wha' will we do with 'em if we find them?" I ask.

They all look at me.

"We can't let 'em stay here if they are a threat to us." I point out.

"We could have a trial. Give them a chance to explain themselves. A jury can decide on what we do." Sasha says.

"That's a good idea in theory. But it's someone we all know, that we sit with, eat with, sleep near everyday. This trial will be difficult to be impartial on. Let's find the person doing this first and then we'll decide what to do." Hershel says.

We all nod and head off on our own. Carol walks beside me.

"Wha' you doin' now?" I ask.

"It's story time in the library for the kids."

I nod my head. "What about you?" She asks.

"I might organise to set up a watch for the fence. See if we can't catch this son o' bitch."

She nods her head and walks off towards the library. I head outside and look for Cat and find her talking to Tyresse. They are standing inside the fields by the people killing the walkers. I head towards them. They seem to be in deep conversation, Tyresse kicking the ground at his feet. Cat has her arms folded, and doing gestures with her hands. Tyresse looks up and she places her hand on his shoulder. He nods his head and gives her a kiss on the cheek before walking off. A flash of jealously overcomes me as I stand next to her.

"Wha' was tha' about?" I ask.

She turns and smiles when she sees me, "Tyresse wanted some advice."

"About Wha'?" I question.

She looks around to check to see if the coast is clear. She leans up on her tip toes and holds my arms for support.

"He has a crush on Karen and he wanted advice on how to impress her." She whispers in my ear.

I chuckle and the jealously disappears. She leans back down and I look around before wrapping my arms around her waist, her arms still on my shoulders.

"How'd the meeting go?" She asks.

"Same old same old." I said, not to worry her.

"Okay." She said, giving me a kiss.

"I gotta go and help with dinner but I'll see you later?" She asked.

I nod and she kisses me again before walking away. I sigh and go off to sort out a patrol for the fence.