Chapter 54

Cat's P.O.V
The laughter of the group fills the air, creating a peaceful atmosphere over the church. I look around our group, a smile consuming my face. I haven't seen the group this peaceful since before the prison burnt down. I notice Sasha walk out of the church, grabbing a gun on the way. Rick is beside me, talking to Tyresse. I tap Rick on the shoulder and he turns to face me.

"I just saw Sasha head outside with one of the rifles. Could you go check on her and maybe see what's taking Daryl and Carol so long." I say.

He nods his head, "Sure."

"I'll go with you." Tyresse says, standing up.

Rick passes me Judith before standing up and walking towards the church doors. He grabs a jacket and a gun before heading outside. The laughter dies down as people get ready for bed. I stand up and begin to walk Judith around, helping her fall asleep. Her eyes flutter shut quickly and she begins to twitch while dreaming.

The church doors open and in walks Rick, Tyresse and Sasha. I wonder where Daryl is when Sasha walks over to Gabriel.

"Stop. What are you doing?" She asks him.

I walk over and put Judith in her basket beside Carl, all the while watching Sasha. Gabriel looks at her confused.

"What are you doing?" She repeats.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"This is all connected. You show up, we're being watched. And now three of us are gone." She says.

My heart stops beating and my breathing becomes erratic as Carl wraps his arms around me.

"Where's Daryl?" I ask.

"I don't have anything to do with this." Gabriel says.

Sasha grabs the knife from her belt and walks towards him.

"Stop!" People yell.

"Put it away." Tyresse commands.

"Who is out there?" She asks.

Gabriel holds his hands up, "I don't have any-"

"Where are our people?!" She yells.

"I don't have anything to do with this." He pleads.

Rick grips onto Sasha's arm and pulls her away from Gabriel. He steps forward towards the priest and looks him in the eye.

"Why'd you bring us here?" Rick asks.

"Please, I-" He begins.

"Are you working with someone?" Rick cuts him off.

"I'm alone. I was always alone-"

"What about when we were at the food bank Gabriel? What did you do to her?" Rick questions.

"You'll burn for this, that was for you. Why? What are you gonna burn for Gabriel? What did you do?!" Rick yells, grabbing him by the collar.

Gabriel begins to cry, "I locked the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night."

He takes a deep breathe, trying to suppress the tears, "They started coming, the congregation. Atlanta was bombed the night before and they were scared. They were looking for a safe place, a place where they felt safe. And it was so early and it was too early. The doors were still locked."

"You see... It was my choice. There were so many of them and they were trying to pry the shutters and banging on the sides screaming at me and so the dead came for them. Women, children, entire families calling my name as they were torn apart. Begging me for mercy, begging me for mercy. Damning me to hell." He cries, clutching at his chest.