Chapter One: Part Four

The optimist, the eternal optimist. Always hoping for the best, looking for the best in each person probably why despite just being lectured by her father to not be so nosy and listening to other people's conversations it was exactly what Emmy did anyway.

Sitting on the staircase of the cabin she shared with her father she listened to members of the community talk about what to do with the stranger she had now learnt as Troy. They lived in a democracy and if enough people agreed the man would be sent packing to survive on his own and as she listened it seemed to be heading in that direction.

"Who knows how long he has been out there we have to give him a chance" Daniel argued.

"Look what that crazy son of a bitch did to my face" Alan pointed to the split lip and now bruised nose "if I knew he was damn crazy I wouldn't have brought him back."

"But you did because it was the right thing to do" Daniel attempted to reason with them but all he seemed to be getting was disapproving faces.

"We can't keep him here. You spoke to him, Dan. You told us what he said. He sounds nuts" Scott spoke standing by the window and peering out into the night.

"He's alone.." Daniel began to speak but was quickly cut off by Alan.

"Because he probably killed the people he was with" Alan scoffed.

"We don't know that" Daniel spoke sternly to the annoyed looking man. "But there seems to be a consensus... We are a democracy after all." He was going to be kicked out... Left for the wilderness to take him. Emmy couldn't take it she didn't know the stranger but she couldn't have it on her conscience to do nothing for this man as she would have done for anyone else in his position.

"Wait!" Emmy shouted as she stood up and stepped from the staircase "we can't do this."

"Em, we already decided" Alan spoke unemotionally.

"Oh shut up, Alan" Emmy sassed causing her father to give a stern look.

"Let Em talk, we were all allowed to have our say so should she," Scott said he gave her a tight-lipped smile. He had always been more empathetic than most.

"We can't just kick him out... He's been, alone guys. Out there for god knows how long. If it was any of you. You would want the chance he at least deserves that" Emmy pleaded. Pleaded the case for a person she didn't know. Emmy could have been wrong and end up regretting it but there was a chance she was right also.

There were a lot of sighs and mutters in the room making Emmy more nervous for the poor man's fate. "At least a few days. He might be okay. We keep him in the holding room and watch him" she continued to argue.

"That sounds reasonable" Daniel gave his daughter a proud smile.

"Are we forgetting what he did to my face?" Alan huffed he was like a child in a man's body sometimes.

"It will heal" was all Daniel replied.

"It does sound reasonable. Just a few days. See if he's safe or not. If he does anything he's out" Scott quickly added and everyone else began to nod in agreement. Emmy couldn't help but smile with self-satisfaction over being able to persuade everyone into helping this man.z

"You will see I'm right," Emmy said to the group before walking to the front door and letting herself out into the cool night to speak to Brady.

:::

"They are letting him stay," Emmy said surprisingly chipper as soon as Brady opened the door to the small home she lived in.

"The guy covered in blood and dirt, punched out Alan, rambling and laughing like a maniac that is the guy you are happy is staying?" Brady gave Emmy a blank stare.

"I know how it seems but..." Emmy spoke her large chestnut eyes still full of hope ever after everything.

"But you always believe in giving people a chance. I know Em.." Brady sighed and shook her head for a moment at her extremely positive friend. "Okay, okay I will have your back with this. You better not be wrong though."

"Since when am I wrong?" Emmy smiled as she stepped back down the stairs.

"We are in a world where everything is destroyed and the dead are eating the living. Are you ever going to stop being so damn positive?" Brady groaned.

"Nope," Emmy said turning and jumping from the bottom step to the dirt ground "Goodnight" she shouted back to her friend.

"Night weirdo" Brady rolled her emerald eyes and closed the front door retreating back into the house.

It was quiet out and with Daniel distracted with the group back at the house it meant Emmy was free to at least wander around the compound. On a clear night despite the moans and groans of the walkers outside there was still the sound of crickets the chirped which was nice in then silence. Until she heard a scuffle which stopped Emmy in her tracks. "No, no, no" she grew nervous that walkers had made their way in. She only realised it wasn't until she was near the holding rooms and the noise was coming from inside she gulped scared she had made the wrong decision as she hesitantly approached the doors she stopped before entering and knelt down pulling out the small knife she kept in her ankle boot ready for whatever lay on the other side.