Chapter Two: Part Four

They had left later than intended from the camp. The sunset was threatening to cast them into darkness but still, the search continued. The town had more than anticipated and the group had spread further and further out despite in Emmy's case. Troy had been very officiant in the task which now left the pair to search the veterinarian clinic which is what they left for last. It was only a small clinic but it also seemed to be a farming town which guaranteed some helping supplies for their own animals.

"Maybe I should get Kai those horse tranquillizers..." Emmy joked as she rifled through the medical cabinet.

"Still won't keep him quiet" Troy replied as he preoccupied himself with a medical journal that had sat on the metal desk that was littered with papers.

"Troy..." Emmy didn't turn to face the tall figure behind her but just keeping her gaze forward unsure how she would proceed in what she wanted to say. "What happened.. On the ranch? I mean there is more to the story right? So from everything I've learnt now you grew up as one of those survivalists types on a ranch, you had a friend and his mother tried to kill you for leading a hoard to the ranch after you were kicked out... What am I missing in the story, Troy?" It was silent, a dead silence that was enough to send a shiver along the girl's spine in its uncomfortable turn.

All he did was let out a laugh seeming amused over her questions "what are you trying to figure out exactly, Em?" his blue gaze set upon the brunette "or are you trying to figure out me?"

"Isn't that what you're trying to do?" she boldly asked once again the pair in some sort of game of truth or dare without actually saying it. Yet the words seemed to catch the young ash blonde off guard just for a moment before he was quick to regain his composure.

"Guess we are in the same boat" was all he said in return.

"Not much of an answer to my question. Are you going to tell me?" She turned to face him still in a kneeling position. If he wasn't taller than her before he certainly had the advantage now from her point of view from the floor.

"Why are you asking?" He was quick to ask tossing the book carelessly from his grasp before turning to face the girl.

"Why are you evading?" Her dark gaze set upon the young man. He knew that look and knew it well mostly because it was one he often had. Analysing, wondering what was making their mind tick and how to understand it which he couldn't help but smirk over "Maybe I'm just as interested as you are..."

"I told you we had something in common" his arms folded over his slender yet muscular chest as he leaned back. He was enjoying this it was much to his amusement. A game of cat and mouse almost. Which one of them would pounce first for the answers they wanted to know and apparently today Emmy thought she was the cat which tickled Troy.

HONK, HONK!

The car horn from outside knocked the two from there ever pestering minds causing them to quickly jump into action. Troy readied his rifle and Emmy took her hunting knife into a firm grip they were ready for whatever was waiting.

:::

"Are you an idiot?" Emmy huffed once they were outside and facing a smug Alan leaning against the driver's side door of the truck.

"It's getting dark. We need to head off" he answered.

"And we are almost done here, Alan. You want to bring the damn dead down on us" Emmy growled at his sheer stupidity on the matter.

"Go scout the other teams to get ready to head back" Troy instructed but that caused a smirk to form on Alan's lips.

"What I'm takin' orders from you now" he simply scoffed at the idea.

"Hey just trying to help here" Troy defended.

"Is that so soldier boy?" Alan questioned through narrowed eyes. He didn't like the ash blonde one bit and wasn't afraid to show it.

"What do you mean soldier boy?" Emmy looked between the angered men in confusion.

"He hasn't told you that one? Babyface here was running a militia when I came across him" Troy's jaw clenched in frustration of the man. He had quickly become from simply annoying to now an obstacle in Troy's path. The baby blue-eyed young man wasn't lying when he said he would do what he needed to do to get what he wanted and as of that moment Alan had set himself in Troy's way but his mood was swift to change when he saw the spindly fingers and scraggly hair of the oncoming shuffling dead behind the truck. He turned to see if Emmy had noticed and he was pleased she didn't.

"Troy..." Emmy's voice disrupted his train of thought and he turned back to the brunette who clearly was expecting an answer but Troy steadied his anger if this worked out he'd be rid of the problem.

"Let's finish the run, Em" he gave a nod of his head for the girl to go back inside. She was hesitant for a moment but obliged anyway.

"I'll be waiting" Alan simply folded his arms holding that smug grin. He wasn't holding his gun which Troy mentally took note of. It looked as though there were at least three dead coming up behind the older man that he hadn't noticed and that Troy wasn't going to point out instead he followed Emmy back inside. If they took the man down the issue would be resolved, even if he was bitten depending on where it would be several hours to turn something Troy knew well. It would be easy for him to pull out his gun and take the man down then and there but right now if he wanted the plan to go the way he wanted Troy had to play it smart.

Emmy was already in the back room by the time Troy got inside. He turned to the window of the waiting room that overlooked the street and watched as three corpses grasped onto Alan with their teeth snapping ready to take whatever mouthful they could and causing him to let out a shout.

"What was that?" Emmy called out.

"Nothing..." Troy turned away from the window and letting whatever fate fall upon Alan "All clear..."