Chapter One: Part Fourteen

The chair against the back door had started to scratch against the floor every time it budged

The chair against the back door had started to scratch against the floor every time it budged. They were looking at a grim ending for the three of them with the oncoming dead flooding through. Emmy couldn't help but glance to hallway despite the crashing in front of the three of them with the decaying corpses dragging their bodies into the room. The broken glass piercing their skin but of course went unnoticed to their grey rotting flesh. It was becoming overrun and the trio wouldn't be able to keep it up without getting hurt or killed. Snapping teeth and boney fingers coming at them as they began backing from the room.

"The gas tank?" Troy shouted nudging his head to the cylinders in the corner.

"What blow the place up?" Emmy asked in astonishment.

"With us inside great idea," Scott said in sarcasm as he lunged grabbing one of the corpse's and slicing through its skull.

"There are other ways of doing it without getting us killed" Troy spoke as he sliced through another one. The bodies were piling up and the back door was edging open.

"Either way we need to get out of here" more were coming in. No doubt soon they would be coming through the front door and they would really have no escape. They backed out of the room as they continued to fight the dead off before quickly shutting the door on what was left inside. Grabbing hold of the bed Emmy attempted to push it back into place at least then they had a chance the back door would be secure. Groans came from the old waiting area causing all three to stare down the hallway.

"I got it" Troy spoke up before marching down the hall before suddenly the room beside them opened with drooling, snapping dead ready to take a bite out either one of them. Teeth bared as two lunged at the small brunette one at her side pushing her against the metal of the bed, the bars digging into her ribs but as she barged that one off the one in front slammed her to the wall, she didn't feel the pain of her body pounding onto the brick wall or now the blood dripping down her forearms from the grazing of her elbows all the girl wanted to do was live but the rotting flesh pealed under her grip struggling to hold it off her last resort of holding it by the throat.

"Em!" Scott exclaimed grabbing the thing by its fairing hair and ripping it away from her and to the floor where he repeatedly stomped on its skull until it was unrecognisable just a mess of blood, bone and brain matter "you o--" he went to speak but more trampled into the hall a mess of bodies as Emmy and Scott stood their weapons in hand fighting for their lives until a thud echoed the room as Scott was slammed head first into the metal bars of the chair barricading the door. Emmy's eyes widened as he fell limply to the ground with blood beginning to trickle down his sharply sculpted face. She knew she had to close off the door to the other room once again if they had any chance of getting out. Her knife in hand she began a brutal savage attack on each one that came in her path, her desperation for survival was kicking in and with Scott now on the floor, she needed to protect him. "Troy!" she screamed for the young man who stopped and turned seeing the girl struggling to close off the other room. With a swift move, he brought down the machete through one more before running across the room. Emmy held the door handle trying to pull it closed with one hand and her teeth clenched as she attacked whatever came her way with her other hand but she almost dropped when the gunfire went off right beside her ear. The deafening ringing in her ear and her shaken mind now struggling to focus. It was Troy holding the smoking gun taking down the last one that was keeping her from closing off the room. Panting heavily between the two with an unconscious Scott at their feet. Banging from all sides but the barricade was weak and the doors were only closed which meant they didn't have much time.

:::

Her heavy breath echoed in her ear, along with the ringing as she struggled to walk out, her legs were aching but Troy was practically dragging her to try to run, the machete in his grip heavily coated with blood was dripping from the blade with each step. "Troy, we need to get Scott" she stopped in her tracks. The back door would be open in only a few more pushes and the doors would no doubt give way any second. Blood had pooled from the open wound on his head across the dirty tiles, he wasn't moving but she could see his chest still rising and falling.

"We need to go" Troy practically ordered to the brunette.

"I can't leave him" she argued.

"Em, at this point he's dead weight" Troy replied in such a cold manner it was almost unsettling the brunette.

"You can help me or not but I'm not leaving him" she turned to run back but a harsh grip on her forearm made her stop. The ash blonde was staring at the girl.

"We don't have time" he argued.

"I will make time" she ripped her arm from his grip and ran back to Scott's side.

"Shit" Troy muttered he hated when someone attempted to force his hand but he quickly relented to go and help the girl. It was going to be a struggle. The pair hoisted the unconscious man up his arms draped around both their shoulders as they hurried from the building. The dead began to appear from beside office the slow groaning, shuffling bodies coming out from the alleyways between the buildings as the three got to the street. She glanced up to Troy helping to support the weight of Scott. His teeth clenched tight as they rushed along the road "Get to the truck!" Troy shouted to the rest of the group whose faces fell as soon as they saw the mass of walkers coming up from behind the two struggling down the road.

"Em... Em!" Brady called running up to her friend but the voices were muffled in her ears as she struggled to keep herself going "Oh my... Scott" the blonde was practically ready to burst into tears at the site on him.

"Get down guys!" Brady shouted to Chris and Taron who stood on the tray firing on the sea who got to close as she quickly raced across the road and got into the driver's side while Troy and Emmy helped get Scott into the back seat before getting in themselves. "What happened to Scott?" Brady hesitated her hand on the keys ready to turn but waiting for an answer. Neither answered Emmy remaining in some sort of daze and Troy panting from exhaustion from the fight.

"Just go!" Troy shouted at the blonde who shot her blue eyes forward to the hoard approaching the truck. With a shaken breath she started the engine and with tear-filled eyes, she sped off from the town leaving behind the hoard to take over what was left.