Chapter One: Part Eight

"You can't do that in front of everyone, Em

"You can't do that in front of everyone, Em. We have to be united" Daniel said as soon as Emmy walked in she couldn't help the deadpan look on her face that she was giving him but she was tired and frustrated.

"Even if I disagree with you?" Emmy arched an eyebrow to her father who sat at the small wooden dining table. "I'm not going to sit quietly by. I never have and never will especially for what I think is right."

"Em," Daniel sighed rubbing a firm hand over his balding scalp. " I don't want to lose you. You're all I have left my darling" he stood up and approached his daughter who stood in the middle of the room in a huff.

"You're not going to lose me... Dad just because I want to help people just cause I want people to make this their home doesn't mean anything. I'm not your little girl anymore. I'm an adult now. You can't keep treating me like a child" Emmy ran her fingers through her long brunette waves of hair. Something both her and her father did when they were frustrated.

"Em, it doesn't matter how old you get you will always be my child" he let out a light-hearted chuckle.

"Doesn't mean you have to treat me as one, dad... I can make my own calls. We are in a damn world where the dead are walking around" Emmy groaned.

"Em, I'm sorry but that man is staying in holding and at this rate I doubt he will be out" Daniel's tone suddenly changed sounding very stern.

"I spoke to Alan.," she spoke in annoyance buy her gaze had fallen to the floor as what Alan had told her echoed in her mind.

"Emmaline, what did he say?" the middle age man questioned in curiosity.

Emmy hesitated for a moment she was never one to lie to her father but she couldn't control what came out. "Nothing, he didn't say anything."

"Em..." Daniel sighed rubbing his index finger and thumb at the bridge of his nose. But the conversation was quickly interrupted as Brady opened the door to the small cabin. "Em can we talk?" the tall blonde asked.

"Gladly" she side glanced her father who seemed more tired than usual. Before walking over to the door and quickly leaving.

:::

"What did Alan say?" Brady spoke leaning her lower back against the railing of the porch.

"Sh... I told my dad he didn't say anything" Emmy spoke in a hushed tone as she joined her friend on the railing.

"Well what did he say?" the blonde whispered.

"That he's a psychopath" was all the shorter girl replied unable to face her friend.

"Let me guess that isn't going to stop you?" Brady quickly replied.

"What?" Emmy turned to face the blonde.

"I know what you're like. For God sake when we were teenagers and you saw a kid get bullied you would step in. It's who you are, Em it always has been. You're willing to go above and beyond for anyone... But this world, this world makes that a very scary thing. I don't want anything to happen to you" Brady let out a long breath before turning her gaze to Emmy who was staring at her with a slight smile. "Don't... I am just saying" Brady shook her head and turned away.

"You love me" Emmy joked.

"Only cause I have to" Brady rolled her eyes at the smaller girl who held nothing but a smug smile.

"Thank you" Emmy spoke her smile finally softening.

"Always..." Brady draped her arm around Emmy's shoulders where Emmy easily settled into place.

"What are you two doing?" The sound of the familiar voice of Scott made both girls turn to look over their shoulders.

"Thought you were on watch?" Brady questioned the medium built man as he stepped onto the porch.

"For Em's lost puppy? I was" he spoke jokingly causing Emmy to roll her large chestnut eyes but Brady to let out a soft giggle. "Plus maybe I want to spend time with you?" He looked to Brady who couldn't even attempt to hide the blush forming across her tanned cheeks.

"Oh gag me" Emmy pretended to gag as she watched the pair practically drooling over one another "well if you're here then who is on watch?" Emmy asked.

"Mike" Scott spoke as he took a spot beside Brady.

"I should of went in when you were on watch" Emmy let out a frustrated breath as she looked away from the pair.

"She has it bad for this one or what?" Scott joked but Emmy just rolled her eyes, someone, she did a lot with Scott with his lame jokes.

"I think she has some questions to ask..." Brady eyed her brunette friend who seemed in deep thought.

"What now? You spoke to Alan yeah?" Scott's dark gaze turned to Emmy as well.

"I did and frankly it's left me with more questions than answers" Emmy sighed her ankle boots scuffing at the wood beneath their feet.

"That's Alan for you... An annoying asshole" Scott scoffed.

"He said Troy was a psychopath" Brady suddenly answered bluntly causing a death stare from her brunette friend.

"What? How would he know unless?.." Scott spoke looking between the girls.

"Unless he knew him before here. It's why he really brought him here. He's not trying to get him kicked out really he's trying to get an excuse to kill him" Emmy quickly answered.

"But if Alan said he's a psychopath..." Brady interjected.

"Since when are we taking the word of an asshole?" Emmy spoke clearly annoyed with her tone becoming higher. Something Emmy hated about herself.

"You think he's lying?" Scott asked.

"I don't know.. But I'm going to find out.."

:::

Thank you so much for reading. I've put a lot of effort into trying to capture Troy Otto as he is such a complex character. I truly hope it shows. Thank you again xx