Chapter One: Part Fifteen

"Brae

"Brae..." Emmy spoke softly standing beside her friend. The blonde let out a sob as Emmy tried to comfort the woman while Chris and a few others had taken Scott to the infirmary. Still unconscious and not even moving as the carried the medium-sized man across the camp.

"I need to.. What happened?" Brady's voice trailed off and cracked as tears rolled down her cheeks. Her emerald eyes remaining in the direction Scott had been taken.

"We were overrun.. There were so many and he took one out then... Umm..." Emmy rubbed at her tired face struggling to find the words "then... A bunch came and..."

"Thank you" Brady suddenly spoke through the sniffles. A broken, weak voice was all she seemed to have.

"For what?" Emmy asked a little confused.

"Getting him out of there. He could have been dead and you could of... You could have just left him but you didn't" she attempted to smile but struggled on her quivering lips.

"You know... I would never.." The brunette's eyes could see Troy from the corner of her eyes standing awkwardly by the truck one boot kicking at the dirt. She could tell her best friend, tell her that he was almost left behind that Troy would have thrown him to the wolves without a second thought but she didn't.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry I wish I could have done more" Emmy whispered just watching the state of her friend but she stood strong for Brady who was struggling to keep it together. Emmy put an arm around Brady's waist and escorted her across the yard to the infirmary. In the small room Emmy used when she helped with patients.

"I will be right back" she gave the blonde a gentle pat on the shoulder before leaving the room and going next door. She tapped on the door there was a quick shuffle from inside the room before the door swung open with Chris on the other side. "How is it going?" The first thing Emmy asked.

"Honestly..." The Doctor sighed "I don't have anything I need to check on him, Emmy. He could have a skull fracture, swelling, bleeding but unless I cut him open which could kill him any way I can't be sure."

"But he could be perfectly fine?" Emmy walked further into the room that tan that usually coloured his skin was now drained, he was pale now as though the life had been drained from him.

"He could... Though his pupils aren't responding at the moment..." her face was grim looking terribly lack of hope.

"So it doesn't look... But you know people pull through... I mean" Emmy stammered through the words. Emmy couldn't help her mind race what if he was okay what if he was perfectly fine then he would have been left to die for nothing. Just to be eaten alive. It made her jaw clench. She fought so hard and now facing her friend who may or may not recover.

:::

"I trusted you!" Emmy shouted as soon as she got to the small house where Troy was staying and the tall young man opened the door. She stormed past him and waited until he closed the door before confronting him. "How could you! I just spent the night sitting with Brady and it's your fault!" Emmy shouted.

"Emmy" he attempted to interrupt her but she stormed over pushing him. Her small hands forcefully landing against his shoulders causing him to stumble but holding a stoic look on his face.

"You wanted to leave him! You tried dragging me out!" pushing him once more her soft brown eyes burned with an intense fire as she faced the blue eyes staring at her.

"He would have been dead anyway!" Troy shouted back at the girl.

"But he isn't is he! He's alive!" Emmy growled shoving him once more.

"Listen" Troy's hands harshly grabbed the girl's wrist holding them firmly in his grip.

"Let me go!" Emmy tugged at her arms but his hands held in a tight grip "what if it was you? That scar... That scar on your head what if someone left you!"

His hands relinquished her wrists and he stood frozen for a moment before he scoffed and touched a single finger to the large circular scar on the side of his head "They did actually" he spoke but almost with a chuckle or maybe it was nerves in his voice Emmy couldn't tell but his blue eyes seemed to wander finding a place to stare at on the floor.

"They tried to kill you?" Emmy questioned.

"I guess she didn't see things the way I did like I thought..." he spoke as though pondering it deeply.

"What, What happened?" Emmy found herself asking.

His eyebrows furrowed just for a moment and Emmy had observed him long enough to know he was thinking "I don't think I ever had a friend until then..." he smirked before letting out a heavy breath "but he was there when his mother smashed me in the head with a hammer..." the words that left his mouth left Emmy astonished yet Troy could explain these things so easily as if reading off a grocery list. His words as calculated as they could be were sometimes careless as though he didn't process what to say as though he didn't know what not to say out loud.

"Why?" The question caught him off guard and the answer was so much more to explain but he seemed to shrug it off easily enough it wasn't as though he was particularly ashamed of his actions but on occasion, the blue-eyed young man didn't really understand why he did what he did.

"I led a hoard to the ranch" he so simply explained but all his answers were starting to leave a knot in the brunette's stomach.

"Where you lived? Why would you do that?" She couldn't keep herself from asking more questions realising he wasn't the only one with an impetuously curious brain.

"The ranch wasn't ours anymore... I was out they exiled me from my home, that was my home" he said it as though that was a perfectly reasonable reaction.

"You were exiled?" Emmy placed a hand to her forehead trying to process everything. As though her brain was going into overload with the amount of information she was receiving.

"I would have rather died than give up my weapons" Troy analysed her closely. Her unkempt eyebrows deeply furrowed, her brown eyes wide and her lips tightening even after the little while he had known her Troy knew that look it was one easy to read but that was something simple when it came to Emmy, an expressive face that could easily give her away. "I'm not afraid to die... So if you want to kill me for what I told you" he shrugged before a tilt of his head while his blue eyes were fixed on her waiting for a reaction. He didn't lie he wasn't afraid to die but it didn't mean he wouldn't take her with him if she tried but her reaction wasn't anything he expected. A long silence in the room as the brunette seemed to take everything in before finally opening her mouth to speak.

"I have to get back to Brady, Troy" was all the girl said before simply turning on her heal and leaving. The unknown hanging in the air for the next day.

:::

I just had to add. This chapter was so tough to write trying to figure the wording out correctly so I Hope you all like it. Feel free to comment and like xx