Chapter Three: Part Fifteen

Home... It has felt longer than just two days but Emmy had missed it terribly so when the truck rolled through the gates at sunset. The golden rays of the sun now lowering behind the hills leaving the sky mixed with beautiful colours something Emmy would usually enjoy but all she could focus on was getting home and the truck barely came to a stop when Emmy jumped out. She couldn't help the smile forming across her chapped lips seeing her father waiting. Emmy raced across the dirt her feet thudding against the ground before she practically flew into her father's arms as the older man welcomed her in an embrace. Her fingers clutching onto the worn denim of her father's jacket as she held onto him. It was sad in a way that a world is now so harsh that a loved one could be taken so easily which made the reunion so much more important.

"You alright kiddo?" he whispered holding his daughter close.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Are you okay? How is everyone here?" Emmy asked as she stepped away from her father.

"Everyone is fine Em. How about we go inside and you let me know how it went?" he questioned looking down at the little brunette.

"Of course" Emmy simply replied with a firm nod before following her father back to the house.

:::

They sat quietly at the small dining after Emmy had finished explaining everything that had happened. Daniel's hands clasped together as he seemed to be in deep thought over the matter.

"That place may as well be burnt out, dad. The shopping centre is overrun as it is and if they start wandering out that town will be swarming but we hit most of the stores and there isn't much more to look at there" Emmy spoke looking down at the unfolded map across the table. Her hand securing a pen in her hold before marking a cross on that area.

"Well we will focus over here" Daniel pointed on the map "for our next run. We will surveyal it more this time. Make a few runs out just to observe make sure there isn't too much danger."

"Sounds like a plan. Make sure we look at the bigger structures. We can't be blindsided again" Emmy's dark eyes focused on the area her father's finger pointed at.

"So who else knows about the sabotage?" he suddenly asked Emmy quickly snapping her attention back to her father.

"Just Me, Kai, Troy and now you."

"You didn't tell anyone else?" his eyebrows furrowed as he thought about the matter.

"No, I didn't want them to worry and if the rest of the group didn't spot us then it's an unnecessary worry" Emmy leaned back in the chair feeling a little uneasy about the subject.

"And Troy took care of the three men?"

Emmy gave a firm nod "he did, he was just trying to protect the group though, dad. since they sabotaged our truck" she was always quick to the blue-eyed young man's defence.

"Can't argue with someone trying to protect the camp" Daniel's brown orbs focused on his daughter who seemed to be in thought over the matter "you trust him kiddo?"

"Yes, yes. I trust him" she answered without hesitation.

"Alright, good enough for me" he gave a warm smile.

"Are we done here? I really need to go see Sarah" Emmy spoke her large brown eyes focused on her father.

"Of course. Just don't be too late got to make sure you get a good nights sleep" Daniel stood up from his seat he approached his daughter placing a kiss on the top of her head "I'm glad you're home."

"Me too.."

:::

"Hey Brae" Emmy opened the door to the small house that Brady occupied.

"Em! I'm so happy your back" the tall blonde came running out from the kitchen practically barreling Emmy over.

"I'm glad to be back" Emmy replied as she held her best friend tightly in a hug.

"Sorry I wasn't out when you got back I've been feeling like shit" she groaned before taking a step back from the brunette "Come on Come inside" Brady backed away from the door as both girls walked further inside.

"I got what you asked for" Emmy suddenly said pulling the small bottle from her jean pocket.

"Thanks, Em.," Brady spoke her voice weak and almost cracking.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Emmy nudged her head towards the bottle.

"I don't know... Will you hate me if I do?" Brady's gaze suddenly dropped and seemed to focus on the wooden floor.

"No, no of course not. I love you, Brae. I will be here to support you whatever you want to do. You're my best friend and I am always here for you" As soon as Emmy spoke Brady latched onto the brunette. Holding her in a tight hug as she sniffled.

"You're an amazing friend but without Scott and in this world Em... I don't know. I don't know what I want to do" Brady sighed.

"It's only something you can decide, Brae but even with Scott not here you're not alone. We are a family. So many of us here will be there for you. You won't be alone in this" Emmy spoke her voice just a whisper in her best friends ear.

"Thank you... Thank you for always being there for me" Brady spoke still sniffling.

"You're always there for me. It's what best friends are for, Brae. Plus don't you think I will make an amazing Aunty" Emmy couldn't help but flash a wide grin causing Brady to laugh.

"How would I go being a mother?" Brady scoffed at the idea "my parents were terrible."

"You're not your parents. You're you and you can do anything" Emmy encouraged.

"You and your damn hoping for the best" Brady chuckled.

"What is the point of living without hope. It's shit now but it might not always be" Emmy leaned closer placing a soft kiss to her forehead while Brady's head remained resting on the shorter girls shoulder "there is always a chance Brady for something better. You will see."