Chapter Three: Part Three

The grounding of the wheel over dirt and rock. The pebbles occasionally flicking up hitting the sides of the vehicle with a loud clink which broke the silence inside the truck. An unusual silence but with Kai sound asleep in the passenger seat beside his loud snores, it fell quiet. Emmy watched out the window as the surroundings passed them by. Scatterings of the dead stumbled passed in view but nothing of severity that made them need to stop to clear a path. It wasn't long before they arrived at their destination. It wasn't a city, they weren't game enough to enter a city with the amount of dead that would be roaming around ready to take a bite from each of them.

"Are you okay?" her dark oval orbs suddenly turned to Chris in the other passenger seat. His knee bouncing relentlessly against the floor.

"Maybe I shouldn't of left... Sarah is stuck there with her mum, she would be worried sick" Chris answered but it was more he was speaking to himself than Emmy.

"Chris she will be fine.."

"Yeah..."

"I know you care about Sarah, Chris we are only going out for the day after all" and once again Emmy held her comforting smile.

"Its the first time going this far" his voice fell soft before the dark-haired boy turned his attention back out the window causing the vehicle to fall into silence one again.

"Do you all remember the plan?" Troy suddenly spoke as he pulled the truck to a stop in an empty alleyway.

"We got it Troy" Emmy assured him to which he responded with a firm nod. As they all got out feet hitting the pavement into the quiet of the surroundings. Now the truck's ignition was off they were left with just the sound of distant feet shuffling and groans from the dead.

:::

In the silent direction of hand gestures, everyone disbursed throughout the area. Opposite ends of the alleyway and heavily armed to search the area. Emmy and Kai scaled the ladder of a restaurant to surveil the area. Emmy's hands clutched the brick that surrounded the rooftop and dragged her small framed body onto the roof. Her boots stepped carefully with a hand ready on a large hunting knife in the sheath on her thigh while Kai leads her silently across the smooth surface.

"Over there" he mouthed signalling for the girl to the edge of the building. Emmy was quick to overlook the area below. A few dead aimlessly walking the street. Their aim was a large shopping complex at the end of the road but first, they needed to make sure it was safe. Emmy's dark eyes trailed the streets and buildings making sure there was no threat for the others to proceed.

"Anything?" Emmy spoke lowly to Kai who stood across from her.

"Clear" he replied and waved for the group to go ahead while Emmy did the same. The pair watched their group begin their walk down the street with caution. "Looks clear up ahead" Kai commented.

"Yeah... Now we just have to scope out that complex and pray that place isn't overrun" Emmy's eyes remained focused on the group beneath them her dark orbs taking in their moving figures and wanting each of them to stay safe.

"Come on, Em. You're the positive one. Pray for a damn miracle" Kai spoke as he approached the girl and stood by her side watching the group move taking down any dead that got in their path. "You worried about your boy?" he questioned as he nudged one of his slender elbow against her arm. The cool of his leather jacket brushing against the denim of her own.

"I'm worried about the group, Kai. I wanna make sure everyone will be okay" Emmy simply dismissed his comment speaking through her tight-lipped mouth.

"Mhm..."

"Since when are we teenage girls gossiping in the lunchroom?" Emmy questioned him with a single unkempt eyebrow raised in interest.

"Until a few months ago you were a teenage girl in the lunchroom little lady" he couldn't hide the smirk curling on the corner of his chapped lips.

"Haha, I was a graduate a few months ago on my way to college thank you very much" Emmy leaned herself over the edge her elbows pressing onto the cement of the half walled surroundings "and I was never a gossiping teen

"Haha, I was a graduate a few months ago on my way to college thank you very much" Emmy leaned herself over the edge her elbows pressing onto the cement of the half walled surroundings "and I was never a gossiping teen. I can keep a secret."

"Oh I have no doubt you can keep a secret, Em" Kai responded joining her to lean over the balcony looking down from the three-story high building.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Emmy questioned a serious face fallen across her delicate features. The furrowing of her brows and narrowing of her eyes focused on the tall, slender blonde beside her.

Instead, Kai smiled revealing a perfect set of white teeth "I think you know" his long pale fingers tapped at the hardened grey cement under their hands "we better go don't want the timekeeper down there getting his panties in a twist if we are late" the pair pushed themselves off the hard surface to stand causing Emmy to readjust the heavy blade prepared to take out if needed before the duo made their way from the rooftop.

:::

The others had already made their way inside by the time Kai and Emmy had gotten to the building. Smashed windows in front of them to enter through and into the darkness. Barely any sort of decent light inside besides the glass doors but the rest remained in shadows. They had all chosen to take different parts of the place to check out leaving Emmy and Kai with the rear entrance near the car parks which was filled with abandon cars and death but that was nothing new just causing the stench in the air to become thicker and harsher on the nose.

"We are near the stock area" Kai whispered as he stepped closer to the entrance his heavy boot causing the glass to crutch underfoot.

"I still need to find the pharmacy... At least somewhere with medical supplies" Emmy more spoke to herself than Kai reminding herself of what she needed for her best friend.

"We will find what we need don't worry Em. Where is that positive spirit" Kai joked with her.

"Okay, you ready?" Emmy questioned her hand now with a firm hold on the large steel ready for whatever was coming their way.

" Let's do this..." and with that, they stepped through the broken glass entering the darkness of the building.