Chapter Three: Part Sixteen

Daniel had organised for more patrols around the perimeter making sure the group wasn't followed back and they remained safe for the time being but the middle-aged man insisted his daughter rest for the night which the girl truly needed. Emmy wasn't even sure how long it had been since she had slept soundly through the night which was taking its toll on the brunette. The usually vibrant brown eyes now a little duller sitting under the heavy darkened circles the clear evidence of her lack of sleep. None the less she embraced a warm shower first letting the water droplets clean off her skin a now rare experience people were able to enjoy but something Emmy enjoyed every second off before finally getting ready for bed. Apart of Emmy wanted to patrol and help the group but she knew her father would just send her back to the house plus she was too tired to argue and with her lack of energy she really wouldn't be much help only a liability in that state so Emmy accepted her fate letting her petite body drop onto the mattress her soft inviting blankets already greeting her until a firm knock at the door caught her by surprise.

"Come in" she called not bothering to move from her bedside.

The doorknob turned and slowly opened "Em" Troy's voice caught her off guard unusual for him to have come into her house let alone her room.

"Everything okay?" she asked suddenly alarmed.

"Everything is going well. No sign still we doubled the patrol again and all aerial points are covered with shooters" he explained.

Emmy couldn't help but smile he was running what was happening by her in his own odd way but odd was one of the words that could describe Troy Otto. "Well thank you for letting me know but if that's all I need--"

"You told your dad what happened?" Troy questioned as he lingered in the doorway. Shoulder resting against the frame of the wooden door.

Emmy groaned she was hoping to avoid the subject "I had to this time, Troy. I told him it was to protect the group" Emmy turned her arms folding across her chest as she stood suddenly from the bed a few steps away from the blue-eyed man.

"It was--"

"I don't want to hear it..." Emmy was quick to dismiss him.

"Why do you do that?" he seems generally perplexed on the matter "get pissed at me for something but lie anyway."

"Because I do Troy" she snapped at him.

"Shit, Em. I do what I have to don't I? I do what I have to to protect this place, I made this place my home so I do what I have to... For this place for you," he seemed to ramble his blue eyes focusing on her seeming annoyed that he even has to explain.

"And that's what I do for this place. Protect it. I protect what is important to me, Troy... That's why I do what I do that's why I've lied because--" she goes silent for a moment before finally taking the steps till there is no space left between them. Troy suddenly straightens from the doorway his brow furrowed at her actions "you're important to me.." Emmy didn't hesitate again her heels rising to stand practically to the tips of her toes. Troy didn't speak he simply watched her actions with his wide curious eyes while Emmy leaned closer till their noses grazed one another her chapped nervous lips were eager to claim his and finally that participation was over once their lips finally came into contact, her eyes automatically closed and her hands one quick to clutch the collar of his shirt while the other resting against his prickly jawline. Emmy couldn't help herself despite his strange nature she felt affection for the ash-blond who stood in front of her his lips awkward with the interaction but he didn't pull away despite the oddness of it all he seemed to crave the sort of action as well which only encouraged Emmy letting her lips move and work against his own they moulded and worked in sync with one another. It was obvious of their inexperience but neither seemed to mind before Emmy finally pulled away Troy's hands remained at his sides as though he had no idea where he should have put them but Emmy kept her hands on him her thumb trailing the soft flesh of his cheek while she let her forehead rest against him "I care about you, Troy" she whispered before finally pulling away.

Her dark eyes staring at him waiting for a reaction other than the complete confusion over the whole interaction his mouth slowly opened to speak but it was silenced with the sound of gunfire

Her dark eyes staring at him waiting for a reaction other than the complete confusion over the whole interaction his mouth slowly opened to speak but it was silenced with the sound of gunfire. Engines sounded throughout the yard loud revving which meant the vehicles were inside the fence. Without a word the pair raced out of the room their heavy footsteps pounding down the staircase with more gunfire echoing through the night air outside, the heavy engines revving and now screams by the time they got outside another large truck had burst through the front fence tearing down part of their watchtower and several guards with it, the dead were flooding in from the attraction of the sound the situation seeming to be worsening by the second. There were at least four large trucks now circling their yard, skidding and grinding into the dirt.

"Shit my dad... Brady I have to find them" Emmy began to worry before taking off into a sprint towards her best friends house.

"Em!" Troy called from behind her but it was too late the brunette's legs were pounding and feet thudding against the dirt. Avoiding the speeding trucks but her heartfelt as though it stopped beating when she heard a loud crash. Her dark gaze turned to see a truck had ploughed through the pigpen. Squeals and screams echoed the air as she watched the horrific bloody scene unable to do a single thing her gaze was finally pulled away when she felt a hand on her shoulder she turned in time to come face to face with the decaying dead just one of many that had seemed to of made their way inside. It growled and snapped at her while Emmy pushed it away then realising she was in her pyjamas without a single weapon for defence. Her eyes searched frantically along the ground for something anything to help her until finally, she saw a rock it wasn't much but enough to take out this single one. As it closed in on her once again Emmy was quick to avoid it's gnashing teeth as she landed heavy punches to its skull with the rock in hand. She wasn't sure how many it took before she finally cracked the bone on its skull to let the blackened soft goo of brain matter seep out and leaving the girl covered in blood. Emmy finally got back up to her feet observing the chaos around her.

"Brady!" she called searching frantically.

"Troy!" screaming out realising he was no longer in view and finally "daddy!" she shouted for her only biological relative left in the world but there was no one amongst the destruction just more screams and terror in the air, the trucks destroyed everything in their path, the dead were coming in. It didn't look like there was much hope anymore.

::

So that was it for this book guys. Hope you enjoyed. I will be returning with a sequel called Where your Loyalties Lie for my Troy Otto fanfic obviously with this cliff hanger in the ending of book one but don't worry all will be revealed in book two. Till then xx