Chapter One: Part Seventeen

Sleep, it was a joke at this point. The brunette had found herself doing chores over the camp. Endless tasks that at least kept the girls mind off of her constant overthinking until night came and those thoughts were waiting for her... Ready to swallow her whole. The springs bounced and squeaked under the weight of the small framed girl as she tossed and turned. Time had become lost in this world only daylight and night time the concept remained the same, work during the light hours and sleep during the dark and with the moonlight beaming through the window it made her think about that time, such a simple time. At that point seemed so hard with studies, school and general life... Who knew how hard it could really be.

"Em?" a gentle knock at the door before the creak of its opening echoed the sparsely decorated room.

"What?" the girl groaned from under the cover of her blankets not even bothering to move as she heard her father step across the floor of her bedroom.

"Are you okay?..." he asked it was a good question one that was heavy on the girls' conscience.

"Yeah" she finally moved herself to situp letting her tired eyes face her father "I'm just tired.."

"You've been busy lately" he commented.

"I just want to help Scott recover..." she sighed.

"You're working yourself too hard, Emmaline" he approached the bed and placed a gentle kiss on the top of his daughters head.

"I'm not working myself hard enough" she rubbed roughly at her face with her slender hands "I just.."

"Need to fix something?" Daniel gave a thin smile to her before sitting down on the edge of the bed "need to help somewhere? Something..."

"You know me..." she forced a smile but it came more half-hearted than anticipated.

"I know you... Martyr complex" she joked at the girl who rolled her eyes. "You know if something is wrong you can tell me..." she didn't want to hear those words from her father that questioning stare from the very same brown eyes she shared with the man. She always struggled to keep things from her father and yet here she was bubbling to the brink with secrets Alan, Scott, Troy all there at the tip of her tongue. Something was wrong at least in her mind but with a deep breath and just for a moment she closed her eyes ready to compose herself. She knew the answer she was going to give her father.

:::

That's the end of Chapter One. It's a very short chapter. Chapter two will be up soon. Thank you for reading. Hope you're enjoying the story xx