Chapter Two: Part Seven

"Oh.. Shit.."

"Oh shit"

It was all Emmy could seem to muster to say

It was all Emmy could seem to muster to say. Her petite hands were stained from the red river of blonde that had seeped from the open wound, a large gash caused by the hunting knife. Dark eyes still gazing lifelessly across the yard that Emmy couldn't dismiss. "Em..." Troy called her name but she seemed to just sit in the grass staring at the body of Alan. "Em" he repeated but still not a word, not a flinch. Her nervous eyes scanned over the knife it was right through his back undoubtedly peircing his heart and she knew it was only a matter of time before he turned. In a quick action she pulled the knife from the wound causing the body to jerk as the blood dripped on the deep blue of his jacket.

"You killed his family.." Emmy didn't even ask it was direct as she kept her back to him.

Troy lingered behind her now standing over the pair "Yes... Some people have to die. A lot of people die in this world Emmy. I mean..." he directed his hand to Alan's lifeless body.

She didn't want to argue about this... Not now it wasn't the time to delve into the deep strange mind of Troy Otto instead the girl simply said "He's going to turn" she let out a heavy shaken breath turning into a puff of steam rising in the cold night air "we should take care of it.." she raised the knife and placed it to his temple. The tip slightly denting the now paling skin.

"Wait" Troy caught her forearm in a tight grip. Probably harsher than intended but Troy wasn't one to have a gentle touch.

"What?" Emmy turned her dark gaze to the bloodied young man. His usually white teeth still off colour from the blood that had seeped between his lips.

"Let him turn..."

"What? We can't just let him turn" she was surprised by the suggestion. Caught off guard by the idea.

"Listen.." he kneeled down beside her his grip still holding her slender arm from making any movement "you kill him then go back to your daddy and say what? You killed another member of your group?" he shook his head his icy gaze on the girl "he's already bitten let him turn then you've killed just another one of the dead.. And congratulations you saved your camp."

"I can tell my dad what happened" Emmy spoke sternly to the tall young man.

"Depends" Troy kept his eye on her wanting her answer "are you going to tell your daddy why it happened?" the way he said 'daddy' always so condescending

Emmy sat there for what felt like forever. She knew he wanted to save his own ass another one of his little secrets wrapped up and kept safe in Emmy's mind but Emmy wasn't sure she wanted to share this secret either. Her overthinking mind didn't help the matter. "How long?" her tone harsh and aggressive.

"How long for what?" he asked eyebrows beginning to furrow.

"How long will he take to turn, Troy... I know you know. You knew, you knew how long it took for my mother to turn. So how fucking long?" she demanded.

"Ninety-three minutes. He's already bitten, his size, weight and he's not turning from the bite anymore since he's dead already" he explained not even able to hide the fascinated glint in his eyes.

"Then we'll wait" her arm went limp in his grip and as soon as it did he released her. A light red mark tarnishing her pale skin only for a moment from the hold.

:::

The silence was strangely deafening in the cold night air as the two sat by and waited for what felt like forever. The body remained unmoved as did Emmy. Her legs now in front of her with bent knees and her elbows resting on them. The blood was beginning to dry on their skin, the once red liquid that smeared her arms was turning brown almost a rust colour. She held a knife in her unsteady hand to be ready for when he returned.

"Troy.. Grab his gun" she nudged her head towards the fallen weapon that now sat in the grass.

"Why?" he looked down to the girl with his brow furrowed his usual look when he wanted an answer.

"If he turned at random... Why would his gun be out" she asked so Troy simply obliged grabbing the handgun from between the green blades, switching the safety on before handing it to the girl who placed it back where he usually kept it and once again they fell into silence. Troy didn't care much for the man's death as he sat quite carelessly beside Emmy. His eyes lacking of emotion as they usually did.

"You saw them, didn't you? I called out what that noise was and you said it was nothing?" Emmy turned her gaze over her shoulder to the tall young man who seemed to shift slightly at the subject.

"Yes" he gave a careless shrug " I would do it again. I wouldn't change that" he answered but Emmy said nothing in return just letting them return to the quiet of their evening until the man that was only alive a few moments ago came back and attempted to tear the flesh from their skin like a savage dog.

"I saw them" Emmy said almost a whisper but not being able to look at Troy as she spoke "I saw them coming and I didn't saw a word..." her top teeth raked across the dry skin on the inside of her lip "I heard him calling but... I just let it happen..."

"Why?" he had to ask. If she knew and she asked him if he heard anything Troy now confirmed Emmy was testing him the thought left him unsettled someone playing his games but at the same time it left him with a sort of enjoyment.

The answer was yet to be heard as the body of Alan stirred and began to growl and moan. It was only seconds his eyes revealed vacant orbs staring back as his teeth bared Emmy forcefully slammed the knife through his forehead leaving him once again motionless and with that Emmy got to her feet quick to dust off her knees as she usually did. "I better go get my dad now" she spoke codly before turning and leaving the young man completely perplexed once again.

:::

I worked so hard on this chapter so I really hope you like it. Xx