Chapter Two: Part Six

There was an argument outside which shook Emmy from asleep the girl didn't even realise she had been having

There was an argument outside which shook Emmy from asleep the girl didn't even realise she had been having. Her head had fallen back against the desk while her body had slipped and been slumped against the wall when the loud voices caught her ear. When people argued the whole camp could hear it especially if it was out in the main yard but it was near the infirmary which meant it was coming from the back paddock and unlucky for Emmy the only person it would grace the ears of was her. With a groan the brunette got to her feet, her hands giving a quick dusting of her dark jeans. A pointless act but something she had always done. "I'll be back" she whispered to Scott after checking he still had a steady breath. People tended to argue that was natural especially with so many people living in close quarters but they always tried to mediate so things didn't get out of hand.

Out of the infirmary, she could hear the voices more clearly. Her heart began to pound the loud thudding in her ears as she began running across the back paddock they weren't far as she could make their figures out as they stood by the tall metal fence that surrounded the place but as the girl grew closer it instantly made the brunettes face drop, her blood ran cold she knew exactly who it was and it was something she had been dreading especially when she heard Troy's next words "You gonna kill me huh?"

"I know what you are..." she could hear Alan's voice reply.

"And what is that? What am I?" he had that questioning voice again as though the question was sincere and the answer was something he needed to know.

"Stop!" Emmy shouted as she ran closer to the men. Alan held a knife in grip pointing it to the young man who didn't seem to waver at the threat.

"You gonna kill me then do it already" was all Troy's reply as he stood in front of the older man. He stood patient, careless about his fate. The weapon didn't faze him, didn't scare him. In his short twenty odd years at life, it was tragic that he had clearly seen worse, been through more. Even as Alan moved in with the knife.

"No!"

As Alan lunged, Troy's hand immediately grabbed the blade. Blood dripped from between his fingers onto the grass. His teeth gritted as he concentrated on holding off the knife from hitting his abdomen.

"Stop this, guys stop" Emmy shouted as she ran closer to the pair of men.

"You don't know what he did, Emmy" Alan spoke his voice breaking as he pushed against the knife but Troy's grip held it steady.

"Then tell me! Nobody can help you if you don't say anything for fuck sake Alan" Emmy huffed as she grabbed Alan's forearm and tried to pull the knife away.

"Shutup" Troy spoke in a low growl.

"Why ashamed Troy? I was there you know.." he suddenly yanked the knife back slicing through Troy's hand who quickly held it into a fist as more blood pooled into his palm. "At that base..." Alan pointed his knife to the young man.

"What are you talking about?" Emmy questions between the two men. Troy who seemed detached from it all and Alan usually hot-headed yes but now standing there an emotional mess.

"He killed my family!... My son was fifteen... Fifteen but you..." Alan was clearly holding back tears as he shouted.

"Alan.. Please" Emmy sighed and placed a hand on the older mans trembling shoulder but he shrugged the girl off before lunging at Troy again who quickly grabbed Alan by the wrists struggling against one another.

"Stop" Emmy shouted at the struggle. Troy held a firm grip on Alan's wrist and slammed his hand against the wall repeatedly until Alan dropped the knife into the unkempt grass. Alan ripped a hand free from Troy's grip and his handballed to a tight fist-raising it to punch Troy repeatedly the punches leaving it's bright red mark across the boy's cheekbone until Troy slammed him into the wall with a thud. "Stop now!" she shouted at the men who continued to fight until Alan gave Troy another punch causing him to stumble back. Blood was dripping from Troy's lip running across his perfect white teeth and along the side of his face from a cut over his eyebrow while Alan's cheek was already swelling and red surely would be bruised tomorrow both looking worse for wear.

 Blood was dripping from Troy's lip running across his perfect white teeth and along the side of his face from a cut over his eyebrow while Alan's cheek was already swelling and red surely would be bruised tomorrow both looking worse for wear

"I wanted to do this quiet... It's why I chose a knife.." Alan unlatched his holster and took the handgun into grip Troy who stood there in anticipation of his attack. "I mean I'm dead anyway so.. Doesn't matter anyway.."

"What?"

"He was bitten.," Troy answered simply his eyes carelessly focused on the gun pointed at his head.

"I know.. I know you saw them coming and you didn't say a word just let the dead..." with a clearing of his throat he pulled the denim jacket from his shoulder. The blood smeared across the ripped shoulder of his shirt with the deeply torn flesh revealed underneath.

"You... You were bitten. I understand you're angry and hurt but Alan.. You're putting everyone at risk you came into camp with a bite what if you turned" Emmy spoke keeping her voice calm but struggling as it shook with nerves.

"If I was going down I was taking this son of a bitch with me" he aimed his gun steadily at Troy who remained unmoved just a statue of a person.

"Please, don't do this" Emmy pleaded with the man.

"I have to.." Emmy watched as he held aim his finger itching on the trigger but the girl couldn't stand there and do nothing before his finger pulled any further she charged at him. She wasn't a large person but she could hold her own and hoped it was enough to knock him away. As her small frame slammed into his side it was enough to knock him off balance. Her action caused him to stumble back losing aim and dropping the gun but it changed nothing just dragging herself into the fight as Alan caught ahold of her enlacing his fingers through her hair gripping it so tight she felt as though it was being ripped from her scalp as he dragged her by the brunette waves and raising a fist and striking her in the mouth leaving a pain that throbbed across her face but with the distraction it had given Troy enough time to grab the gun before he could even raise it Alan had tossed Emmy aside like a rag doll and the girl landed on the ground with as they began a struggle for the gun. Emmy jumped to her feet letting them pound across the ground to grab the knife. As the men were on the ground fighting for the handgun Alan twisted the aim in their grip with the barrel tucking under Troy's chin it wasn't secure but long enough if Alan could pull the trigger.

"No!"

The next thing Emmy knew was the crimson flow of blood pooling out intermingling with the dirt and grass, staining the ground in its movement. In the moonlight, the blood looked almost black as it poured from the open wound.