Chapter Three: Part Six

He couldn't go back with the dead clawing at the swinging doors which he was quick to slip a wooden beam through the handles and barricading the door. He desperately wanted to see Emmy running after him as he gazed through the window of the door but nothing came just more dead beginning to build up causing it to start to budge. Kai didn't have many options as he ran to the service elevator hoping there was enough in the generator to get him to the next floor and hoping the dead wasn't going to be on the other side ready to tear him apart. To his relief, it led into another storage room of the second floor. He wasted no time slowing down running as fast as he could, his muscular legs pounding down against the tiles shoving past any lingering body that got in the way hoping the others would be waiting at the entrance. He couldn't risk anything because any second wasted Emmy could be dead and he wasn't willing to take that chance. Finally with aching feet from his heavy boots that had carried him across the shopping centre he was their escalators that had ceased to work in front of him but never the less he gripped the rails and let himself run again but Kai didn't get time to say a single word by the time he got to the rest of the group waiting at the front entrance.

"Where is Em?" was the first words out of Troy's mouth as he watched the other blonde attempt to catch his breath.

"There was a lot of them... I lost her when we were running... but I know where she could be so if we double back--"

"What?" Chris exclaimed.

"We need to go back and get her" Was all Kai said as all the others nodded in agreement while Troy stood holding a pensive look across his face as though taking on the works deeply into thought.

"Come on man" Kai spoke as he stepped closer to Troy attempting to keep his voice low for the next part "I don't know exactly what's going on with you and Em but you know she would go above and fuckin' beyond for you" those words were quick to gain Troy's attention as his eyes narrowed "you can't leave her, we can't leave her out there" Kai was practically pleading but Troy didn't seem to care much of his pleading and instead adjusted the rifle on his shoulder before stepping past the sandy blonde "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to get Em, are you all going to sit on your asses or are you going to help me?" it wasn't really a question when Troy spoke it was underlined with a command but he didn't have to ask again everyone was quick to follow.

:::

Spindly fingers clawed at the walls, leaving blood, skin and nails behind with each scratch while Emmy attempted to hide

Spindly fingers clawed at the walls, leaving blood, skin and nails behind with each scratch while Emmy attempted to hide. She had lost sight of Kai in the crowd of the dead when she was forced to hide and now she was hoping he was alright. She had the door locked to the bathroom but could hear the dead in desperation to get inside. Emmy had climbed onto the counters of sinks attempting to reach the ceiling but she didn't have much time the door that kept the dead out shook, it wasn't a heavy door and would give way any second.

"You got this... You got this" she repeated to herself clamouring to climb onto the wall that separated the sink and toilets. Her shaken hands gripped tight to the tiled wall that sat a few feet from the ceiling itself and just beneath an air vent the small brunette was hoping to climb through. As she began to pull herself up the door burst open letting in the stumbling dead, their teeth bared and snapping ready to take a bite from the girl while her hands held desperately to the wall rotting, bloody fingers began grabbing at her ankles but she kicked them away and with a grunt she pulled herself onto the thin wall. As though she were an acrobat having to balance on a wire it was all she could do with the corpses beneath her feet ready to take her if she so much as slipped. Emmy quickly held onto the edge of the mirror as she took the pocket knife from her ankle sheath and began loosening the screws of the vent cover as Emmy tried to keep herself concentrated at the task at hand ignoring the moaning beneath her body. One by one the screws came loose and dropped to the tiled floor before finally freeing the cover and it to dropping with the dead below. It wasn't a large opening and at that moment Emmy was thankful for her small frame while she slipped the knife back into its spot. Emmy only had one shot to do this her arms would hold her entire body as she would have to jump from the edge of the wall letting herself dangle in the open air till she could drag herself up. Emmy gave one glance to the vacant eyes staring up at her growing and moaning. There were no other options, no other escapes so Emmy reached out a hand letting it clutch tightly to the metal frame that held the cover in place with an unsteady breath she relinquished her hold on the mirror and letting her other hand hold the metal. Her hands slightly sweaty but Emmy hoped it wasn't enough to let her slip and fall to her death with nothing more to lose she jumped from the wall, her hands holding her entire body beginning to drag herself into the shaft above, hands batted at the tips of her boots like cats playing but Emmy wasn't prepared to be the mouse in the situation. Pain stung through her hands from the metal piercing into her skin but she was forced to dismiss it just wanting to survive. Her legs kicked with the struggle but eventually, she pulled herself up as quick as she could she placed her feet on the framing securing herself in place before she pulled herself further into the vent. Finally safe from the dangers of the bathroom and now crawling into the unknown ahead.