Chapter Two: Part Five

The calls for help from outside were satisfactory to Troy

The calls for help from outside were satisfactory to Troy. He struggled to hide a smirk as he left the clinic with Emmy but that was quick to fade once they were faced with another camp member helping Alan to his feet. The man was dishevelled but not harmed which easily displeased Troy as the middle-aged man got to his feet and adjusted his denim jacket over his shoulders. Troy attempted to hide his disappointment but struggled with his lips tightening it was lucky the focus wasn't on him.

"Alan, are you okay?" Emmy asked as she quickly stepped down the cement stairs of the clinic and over to the trucks where three dead lay mangled at their feet.

"I'm fine, I'm fine" he dismissed the help and held a deeply rooted scowl "I was calling out. You didn't come?..." he hissed at the girl.

"I didn't hear anything.. I'm so sorry" Emmy shook head with widened surprised eyes "Troy did you hear anything?" Emmy glanced over her shoulder to the ash blonde who hadn't budged from the top step.

Troy wasn't the best of liars but he was fast to pull himself together and answer "No" was all he replied.

"It was lucky you came when you did, Jay" Emmy turned her gaze to the older skinny man who stood beside the girl still holding a firm grip on a bloodied machete "crazy we didn't hear you" Emmy let out a heavy sigh as though disappointed in herself.

"Yeah..." Alan's dark gaze was set on Troy "weird" the ash blondes jaw tightened. at was clearly clenched as it ticked through the light stubbled skin he knew he had to deal with this problem now and take the matter into his own hands. Troy wasn't afraid of getting his hands dirty, he never had been. It was that it was going against the plan set into motion and that made the young man irritated but now he knew he would have to risk it.

:::

It was a long quiet ride back to camp. The truck bumped and rumbled along the rough roads as the other followed close behind. Darkness had cast upon the land around them with only the headlights signalling where to go on their two-hour journey back. Chris was sound asleep and letting out heavy snores on their return while the others couldn't wait to stretch their legs once again.

"Emmaline, are you alright?" the first thing Daniel said when the girl got out of the truck.

"Fine, dad. Alan had a bit of a scare but everyone is fine" a gentle smile graced her lips as the older man embraced her. His large arms wrapping around the girl thankful she was safely returned.

"You alright Alan?" Daniel called out as he stepped back from his daughter still holding an arm around her shoulders.

"Yeah, fine" was all he said before stomping off in a huff.

"He almost died, dad" she turned her large puppy eyes to her father who simply let out a heavy sigh.

"Best we leave him alone for now. You should rest up kiddo" Daniel said turning back to his daughter. The dark circles clear under her eyes but the brunette was quick to dismiss the idea.

"I need to go check on Scott and see Brady plus I have the supplies for the infirmary" she gave a shrug of her shoulder signalling at the large backpack she was carrying.

"Alright... Don't be too late. You need some sleep" he instructed before placing a single kiss to her forehead then leaving the girl to return to their shared cabin.

:::

The flicker of the lantern was shining even through the glass panel of the infirmary door. The flame danced and bobbed from the cool breeze that had given the camp a break from the relentless heat. Her slender hand turned the doorknob to the room and as usual, a pale Scott lay motionless on the cot a small smile gracing Emmy's lips noticing the blanket placed over him even though Brady didn't show it much there was a sweet thoughtfulness side and it was one of the reasons she loved Brady.

"Hey..." the blonde spoke in the barely lit room. Her head resting against the wall as she remained seated on the chair that sat next to the cot.

"Been here all day?" Emmy questioned as she approached the clearly exhausted girl.

"No... I ah... Left to do my chores" she answered. The soft-spoken way of Brady lately left Emmy in much concern the usually sarcastic girl was now solemn and though she understood Emmy was still worried. "How was the run?"

"Good, we got supplies" Emmy simply answered taking the back from her shoulders and letting it drop down her thin arms. She conveniently left out what happened with Alan not wanting to bother Brady with it.

"You think anything of it could help Scott?" she asked but the question lingered with serious doubt.

"I mean it could... You never know" the small brunette stepped behind her friend. Placing a gentle hand on her shoulder "you should get some sleep."

"No, no... I can't I mean if Scott--"

"If Scott wakes up I will be here" Emmy cut her off and gave a smile to the blonde.

"No... You've been so busy you need sleep" Brady shook her head turning her gaze back to Scott.

"I'm not even tired, Brady. Plus I have to sort all the supplies anyway... Go back to your place for some sleep" Emmy insisted but Brady hesitated her eyes lingering on her unconscious boyfriend who was still yet to show any signs of waking. "Brady.." Emmy said in a soothing tone "go rest..." with one final look at the young man Brady finally relented and stood up from the seat.

"Come get me... If anything changes" she simply asked to which Emmy gave a firm nod before the girl left leaving Emmy alone with her unpacking to do.