Chapter Two: Part Two

The warning Kai had given went to no avail as the speakers blasted with what was supposedly music but sounded more like static with instrumentals mixed in but at least it was something rather than the silence between them

The warning Kai had given went to no avail as the speakers blasted with what was supposedly music but sounded more like static with instrumentals mixed in but at least it was something rather than the silence between them. Emmy sat in the back passenger seat beside Chris who stared out the window with a rifle in between his knees. She looked at the young man apart of her felt empathetic with him. Chris was sixteen and lost his entire family. It was hard enough having to adjust to the world as it was but going from a sixteen-year-old boy whose life is parties, girls and high school to fighting every day to survive was hard.

"Chris..." Emmy whispered but leaning across the seats and closer to the young man.

"Yeah?" he replied turning to face her. Brushing the long dark curls from covering his almost black eyes.

"Thank you..." she suddenly said causing his eyebrows to furrow in confusion.

"For?" he asked but Emmy nudged her head ever so slightly towards Troy sitting in the front. The boy turned his gaze it seemed to take him a minute before he simply gave a nod of his head "all good" was all he said.

"Emmy would you stop trying to make-out with Chris. I can see you in the damn mirror" Kai joked a wide smile forming on his pink thin lips.

"Think she's more into blondes, man" Chris laughed.

"So I'm in for a chance?" Kai took a single hand off the steering wheel and brushed his fingers through his strawberry blonde mohawk that was slowly growing out.

"If I knew I would be stuck with you idiots. I wouldn't have come" Emmy pulled up one of her booted feet and launched a kick into the back of Kai's seat.

"Shit woman" he exclaimed when he jolted forwards causing Chris to laugh and Troy to smirk. "Okay, okay. Change of subject. What would we be doing if the world was ya know the way it was?" Everyone fell quiet for a moment "what about you Chris, man? Huh? Part-time work? Hanging out with ya buddies? Chasing after a girl ya like maybe?"

"If it was the way it was... I'd be worrying about finals... My parents really wanted me to graduate and go to college. Be the first in the family to do so" Chris answered.

"How 'bout you Em? Let me guess aiming at joining a sorority? I can imagine you and Brae in those sexy wet t-shirt contests" he laughed and shot the girl a wink in the rearview mirror.

"Not much for sororities, Kai. This all started a few months before I even got to college" she let out a breath and turned to look out the window "the day all this happened I got my acceptance letter to Yale University actually."

"What were you going to study?" She turned back it caught her by surprise because it wasn't Kai asking, it was Troy. She caught his blue irises just for a second looking from the corner of his eyes to the brunette.

"I wanted to be a doctor... Why do you think I help in the infirmary" she answered before turning back watching the trees and scrub go by the window as they drove past. There wasn't much else to look at out their as their camp sat far from any cities since they took over an old town that was in the middle of nowhere.

"Okay, how 'bout you, Otto? We don't know much about your past. How 'bout this I guess?" Kai asked his almost grey like eyes turning to the young man who adjusted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Haven't we already established you suck at guessing?" Emmy couldn't help but look in disapproval to Kai.

"Come on, come on let me try. Umm..." he gave Troy a once over as though actually giving it some thought "college boy right? You look like the type anyway seem to have some smarts on you--"

"That makes one of you" Emmy scoffed causing Chris to laugh.

"Nice middle-class family the usual two point five kid style—"

"Let's not play this game anymore" Emmy was quick to cut him off.

"Wait, I'm almost done. Bet you also had a pretty little thing of a girlfriend am I right, man?" Kai gave a playful smile but Troy seemed to adjust his shoulders and his brow twitching to furrow.

"No girlfriend not really much time for that" he suddenly answered "and ah... My dad owned a ranch" he answered simply.

"A ranch huh? So like cattle, horses?" Kai continued his questioning.

"Survivalist... And I didn't go to college" he was staring out the front windshield as he spoke "I was pulled" Emmy could have paid another kick to the back of Kai's chair for his stupid questions but loud honking from behind them made Emmy and Chris turn to see Alan behind the wheel of the truck behind them. Waving a hand indicating to drive faster.

"Why did he have to come.." Emmy mumbled.

"I don't know.. Kinda feel sorry for the guy after what happened to his family and all" Chris spoke turning back in his seat catching Emmy in surprise. She didn't think anyone knew the story.

"What happened?" she asked her dark eyes eager for answers.

"This is way back when he first got to camp... I overheard him talking to Matt" her eyes widened realising how long it had been, she hadn't even heard Matt's name since he died months ago.

"What did he say?" she asked.

"Apparently... He was over in Mexico when it all happened and he and his family were on their way back when they got grabbed by some army type guys" Chris explained trying to remember what Alan had said "and they took them to this military base and performed like experiments on them trying to figure out shit about how the dead work or something... Pretty fucked up stuff" Chris just shook his head but Emmy was in shock over what he was saying "his youngest son was like fifteen... There are some damn crazy people left in this world" Chris continued but Emmy's eyes had trailed off to Troy the cogs in her head turning and turning piecing together the bits of the puzzle she so desperately wanted to solve.

It had suddenly become quiet until "You wanna know about me?" Kai quickly broke the silence. Emmy and Chris let out a groan knowing he was going to explain anyway. "One word... Porn."

"Oh my God... Wake me when we get there" Emmy said definitely finished with the conversation as she laid her head back on the headrest behind her and closed her eyes quickly shutting off the world around the brown-eyed brunette.

:::

Hey, this isn't my usual type of deep chapter I thought I would add one a bit lighter, also show Emmy in a different social situation and out with the boys. I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to leave comments or opinions I love reading your thoughts. If you have any questions feel free to ask them too.

Till next time xx