Chapter One: Part Sixteen

Relentless sleepless nights had tortured Emmy for days now. The small girl had spent the majority of her time in the infirmary looking over Scott and avoiding Troy was just one of the benefits at the moment. She couldn't face him not after his confession it had left her mind on a never-ending twist of conflict. Her attention had solely been set in two places comforting her best friend and trying to help Scott to the best of her ability and so another long night in the infirmary beside the rusty-haired young man, that tan freckles skin now faded to such a pale tone but all she could focus on was the fact he was still breathing. The rising and falling of his chest were still in rhythm and that was enough hope for Emmy.

Her slender arm was bent upwards on the old desk while her head rests upon on the palm of her hand. She was finally asleep... Five minutes maybe this time but still finally resting. Heavy eyes that were surrounded with dark circles proving the weight of her mind and the lack of sleep.

"Em, Em," Brady asked poking the brunette with a single finger "Em.." another poke caused the girl to stir. The arm slipping from beneath her head causing it to fall heavily onto the desk with a thud.

"Ow..." she mumbled into the wood now firmly against her face.

"Em... Why don't you head back to your house? Get some sleep" Brady spoke concern was all over the blondes delicate features but it wasn't just for Scott it was now for her friend.

"I... I can't... I mean something might change. Something might happen and you might need me" the brunette groaned her small hands roughly rubbing at her still tired face.

"I'm here now, Em" Brady sat beside the unconscious young man her shaking hand quick to take his motionless one "if he needs something I will call."

"I can't just leave" Emmy shook her head the dark hair messily falling around her face.

"Em..." Brady let out a heavy breath before bringing her own tired gaze to Emmy. The usually bright emerald eyes were now somewhat dull.

"I.. I just" Emmy struggled to finish the sentence.

"You should go rest up Em. You can't do much to help when you're sleep deprived" Brady spoke but turned back to Scott. Emmy watched as the blonde touched his skin so tenderly as though he were fragile glass. There were many times she would roll her eyes and cringe at there ways of affection never being one for public displays but in the quiet of the infirmary with the sunlight just peaking over the distant tree line she sat in silence watching the true care Brady had for the young man and how Emmy wished she could have done so much more to help him.

"I'll go get some sleep," she says suddenly knowing the blonde needed some time alone with the unconscious man. Weak legs helping her stand and carrying her to the door which she closed behind her giving the pair some privacy as she wandered for her house.

:::

The sunlight stung her eyes as she stepped outside. Her burned as though she had never seen it before but with her eyes squinting she made her way across the yard hoping she didn't run into the ash blonde she was desperately avoiding at least until her mind would stop battling itself and decide what she thought about everything.

"Havin' trouble sleeping Em?" besides Troy it was also the last voice she wanted to hear and turning her gaze to Alan she was so tired she couldn't even fight off the frown that automatically grew in the presence of the man.

"What do you want?" she didn't even bother trying to be polite.

"Wow... You look like crap.." he eyeballed the girl "maybe it's a guilty conscience" a smug grin started tugging at the corner of his lips.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" she huffed with an eyebrow ticking to raise.

"I think you know what it means..." he stepped closer his boots scuffing against the dirt "you've spent all your time in that infirmary for days yet without your little pet project... Question is what did he do?"

"I've been in there because Scott is still unconscious, Alan. Maybe it's been a while since you've had a friend but you tend to be there for them when something happens" she spoke her tone purely annoyed.

"There is more to it... What did he do Em?" his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"If we are going to this subject what did he do to you, Alan?" she spoke softly but with a disgruntled tone, she couldn't hide.

"You're smart, Em... I'm pretty sure you could figure it out or maybe you already know since you're avoiding him?" his eyes were narrowed almost like he was challenging the girl to a game of wills.

"I'm not avoiding I'm busy" she snapped.

"Em, what happened?" he asked once again.

"Nothing, nothing happened, Alan" she growled at him before barging passed the older man. She wasn't sure if it was Alan and his annoying behaviour that made her lie. She hadn't told anyone what Troy had said to her and she wasn't sure where she stood but at that time she wasn't going to tell Alan a damn thing.

"Why don't I believe you?" he questioned.

"I don't give a damn what you believe, Alan. Now I'm tired" she rubbed her thumb and index finger across the slender bridge of her nose before letting out a heavy breath "so I'm going home" the girl started to walk across the dirt path.

"It doesn't matter anyway, Em. People like that... Bad things tend to happen to" her eyebrows furrowed at his words as she turned.

"What is that a threat?" she questioned.

"Doesn't have to be a threat, Em. These sort of things are inevitable" he scoffed.

"Why don't you just say it! Just say what it is because these bullshit hints and evasive behaviour is bullshit" she growled.

He shook his head taking the cap off of his head and running his fingers through his dark hair "all in due time, Em... Guess you're not the only one keeping secrets" he spoke before storming off leaving Emmy in more frustration and confusion than before.

:::

I just wanted to say a thank you to tiredxsurvivor being such a constant encouragement and help always talking things through. You've inspired me a lot with the rewrite of this story. Thank you so much.