Chapter One: Part Twelve

Em, Em.," Daniel called after the girl as she prepared alongside the small group ready to head out on a run. Her first run to Daniel's disliking but the small brunette had a tendency to dig in her heels. It had been a few days now and Alan had avoided her at any possible turn which bothered the girl with so many questions.

"What is it?" she questioned her father not bothering to give the middle-aged man a glance as she organised her backpack.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked a worry was written all over his aging face.

"Dad, I will be fine. Scott and Brady will be with me" she replied finally turning to face the man.

"And what about him?" Daniel side eyed Troy who was standing by the truck. His back resting against the tray as he seemed to stare off at the surroundings.

"He will be fine. Trust me, dad" she believed what she said but Alan's words didn't leave her mind however Troy had been there almost a week and hadn't done anything since punching Alan so she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"I trust you it's just..." he let out a heavy breath a hand rubbing at his balding sweaty scalp.

"Dad, I'm eighteen. If everything was normal I could vote and fight for my country by now and if it was normal I would be living on my own anyway" Emmy explained.

"But it's not normal, Emmaline. You can die at any turn in this new world... I wish it was how things were your mother would still be with us" his gaze suddenly fell to the floor. Even after twenty years together Emmy's parents were happily married right up until her mum's death a weight the pair carried.

"Don't worry. I will take care of her" Brady suddenly appeared by Emmy's side an arm wrapping around the shorter brunettes shoulders.

"I know you will" Daniel finally turned his gaze. The light in his dark eyes seeming to return instead of the lingering despair that had settled there. It was gone for now but that pain would return as it always did.

"So don't worry" Emmy gave a smile but it curled in only one corner of her dry lips.

"We will always take care of her" Brady gave Daniel a pat on the arm before heading over to the truck. The once girly blonde had really changed in the new world. Though she didn't have much of an option Emmy would never have guessed the blonde would survive without her lip gloss yet here they were and Brady had become one of their best marksmen.

"I will always worry. I'm your dad it's my job" he answered once Brady had walked away. Emmy just threw her slender arms around the man's shoulders. He was right to worry of course he was Emmy wasn't stupid she knew how dangerous the world had become but they had to do what they had to do.

"Love you, dad" she whispered in the man's ear.

"Love you too" he whispered back holding the girl in a right embrace.

"Em, come on" Troy called for her. Now standing in the tray of the truck patting a hand on the silver roof.

"Bye dad," she said before snatching her backpack and running to the truck. He waved to his daughter worry was overwhelming him but he was trying his best to let her go but watching the truck pull away and out the gate with his only child wouldn't get any easier.

:::

Most towns nearby had been picked clean which wasn't a big deal. The camp was pretty self-sufficient but occasionally they were short on somethings and had to leave camp in search. It was never easy and with everything fallen apart, supplies were few and far between.

"Hey, hey stop!" Brady shouted from the passenger side of the truck pointing to a turn off ahead.

"What is it?" Scott questioned his girlfriend as he looked in the direction she was pointing.

"Over there. Drive" she directed and Scott quickly obeyed. Taron and Emmy sat in the back seat while Chris and Troy sat on the tray on the back. They all bounced around in the truck as it went along the uneven road to come into a small what seemed to be a pit stop sort of town that was barely touched.

"On the plus with such small towns everywhere there is bound to be a few intact" Emmy commented as Scott pulled over to the side of the road on what seemed to be the main street but was now a deserted ghost town. The bushes that decorated the sidewalks that were most likely well groomed at one point were now overgrown the roots from the trees and bushes had cracked and uneven the sidewalks. Without the constant upkeep of things, it all just became overrun with nature once again.

"No harm in trying" Brady shot her best friend a smile in the rearview mirror before the four of them exited the vehicle. Chris and Troy already holding their guns tightly scanning the area. Troy seemed to be in his element with a gun in his hand.

"Split up and meet back here in an hour?" Scott questioned as he stood by Brady.

"You think splitting up is a good idea?" Troy commented as he leaned back onto the truck and looking to the sky seeming to take in the warmth of the sun.

"We always do. Smaller groups have a better chance and with splitting up we have the job done quicker. One hour tops, we go in grab what we can and get out" Brady directed to the tall young man who looked to the blonde before turning his gaze to the small brunette beside her as though seeking her opinion.

 One hour tops, we go in grab what we can and get out" Brady directed to the tall young man who looked to the blonde before turning his gaze to the small brunette beside her as though seeking her opinion

"Em, coming with me?" Troy suddenly said his blue eyes searching the group for objection.

"I bet..." Brady muttered and receiving a roll of the eyes from her best friend.

"I will go with you two then" Scott spoke eyeing the pair.

"We will see you in an hour then" Troy spoke as Emmy walked over to him they stood to wait for Scott. Troy leaned over into the tray and pulled out a long sharpened machete while Scott shared what seemed to be a long goodbye with Brady before he finally joined them.

:::

Emmy grabbed one of the groaning walkers by its neck it's skin practically peeling off just from Emmy's touch it was in such bad decay and Emmy suddenly piercing through its ear into the brain before ripping the knife back out and letting the body drop to the unkept cracking road. There were only a few to clear off from the road their teeth bared ready to take a bite from any flesh they came in contact with Scott was behind her clearing up an approaching straggler one of its arms only being held on by the tendons while Troy seemed to slash through whatever one came into his path with the machete a, he ripped the machete from between one's teeth while apart of it's jaw and tongue came with it, coming out then repeatedly slashing through the things head of its head when it dropped. Troy spun the machete in his hand before holding it firmly in both hands and coming down forcefully through the things head splattering brain matter now a sludge mixed with blood across the dirt causing it to finally stop moving. He let out a panted breath and shook his wavy-haired head "I've missed this" Troy spoke with a puffed breath.

Scott just shot Emmy a concerned look as he approached the girl but Emmy shook her head dismissing his concern. "We should continue on" Scott instructed.

"Okay.." Troy pressed his black booted foot onto the thing it had been a long time clearly since it had been an actual person but just like the rest a snarling, hungry, disgusting thing. With a sudden yank pulling the machete from what was left of its head. His blue eyes lingered over the bloodied metal for a moment before turning to the pair ready to continue on with their search.