ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 10

Ƭhe next morning, Rey sat on the couch in the library reading. She had been there for a few hours when Ben came looking for her. He made his way across the room to stand next to her. He was a little timid as he approached after their fight the day before. He decided not to mention anything about her father, even though he still wished that she would talk about what was bothering her.

"You can read?" he asked, surprised and impressed as he noticed the book in her hand. Most children who grew up on the streets as she had didn't know how to read or write. He had intended to teach her how to read, but it seemed there was no need. He was proud of her for overcoming her circumstances. But if he was completely honest, he had been looking forward to teaching her how to read and write. It would have given him an excuse to spend more time with her, perhaps get to know her a little better.

She nodded. She didn't want to speak to him, but she knew that hatred was wrong even if he did deserve it. She looked at him, taking a deep breath. She had to at least try, especially after he had tried to help her overcome her past the day before. And now he seemed so impressed, she didn't like him but she did like how it felt when he looked at her that way. At times she felt like she was just someone he had to settle for, but when he looked at her like that she could hope that wasn't true.

She could tell that he'd asked the question in an attempt to spark a conversation with her. Perhaps get to know her a little more. She didn't want to get to know him. But since she would be stuck with him for the rest of her life, she might as well at least know what to expect. "My father taught me how to read before he...before he died..." her voice broke for a moment. She didn't like talking about her father, it was too painful. But she hoped that mentioning it would stir some memory in him. That maybe she could finally hear the explanation she'd waited twelve years to hear. Perhaps even an apology for what he had done, not that it would change anything.

She looked into his eyes for a moment but saw no sign of recognition. All she could see was compassion and sympathy, things she had never dreamed this monster of a man could feel. He moved half a pace forward as if to comfort her. She spoke quickly to stop him, she didn't want him to comfort her. "I spent most of my life alone. Books were my only companion."

"It was the same for me," he answered. "What do you like to read?"

"I like fairytales, adventure stories, and legends. One of my favorites was the legend of Queen Padme and the Knight, Anakin," she answered.

"My grandparents?" he asked, surprised.

She nodded, though she hadn't realized that he was their grandson until then. They had always been legends in her mind.

"We have paintings of them here at the castle. I can show them to you sometime if you would like, my lady."

"That would be nice. Thank you, your majesty," she replied.

He nodded, then he was quiet for a moment. "I have always looked up to my grandfather," he said.

"Not surprising," she answered looking back down at her book. Anakin was a great king, but he had betrayed Alderaan after his wife died. He had nearly destroyed the kingdom. But Queen Leia and her twin brother, Luke had stopped him. According to the legends, Luke had changed his father just before he died. Rey wasn't sure if that was true or not.

"What became of your uncle?" she asked.

"He gave the throne up to my mother. He said that the kingdom was safer in her hands than his. He lives in the mountains training young boys in the art of swordsmanship. I was trained by him myself."

Rey nodded, she was trying to have a pleasant conversation with him. But that wasn't an easy thing to do with someone that she hated so much. Even the sight of him made her angry. She had to fight with all of her strength to keep that anger from entering her voice.