ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 26

Ɓen went back over to where Rey was sitting.

"Are you going with them?" She sounded concerned, like she actually didn't want him to go. He was surprised that she actually seemed to care.

"No," he replied. 

Rey tried to hide her relief, but it was all too obvious. "I guess I'm stuck with you," she said trying to sound disappointed, but the smile in the corner of her lips gave her away.

He smirked, knowing that she didn't mean it. "My apologies my lady."

She smiled at him, but noticed that something seemed to be on his mind. "Is something wrong?"

"No," he answered, but it wasn't very believable.

Maybe he really did want to leave so that he wouldn't have to be stuck with her. Or maybe he was only staying because of her, maybe he felt trapped because of her.

"You don't have to stay on my account," she said gently. Though something in voice told him that she didn't want him to go.

"I want to stay with you, Rey," he answered, sincerely.

"Then what's wrong?" she pressed, thinking that there was something wrong, something he wasn't telling her.

Ben looked over at the General, then back at Rey. "I can't talk about it here, but I'll tell you later, when we're alone."

She nodded.

Ben reached his hand out to her. "Will you walk with me?"

She nodded, then she took his hand and he assisted her to her feet. She didn't need help, but now she realized how sweet he was being for offering his hand to her. And how rude it would be not to accept it.

They left the council room and made their way down the hall together.

Rey was lost in her thoughts, she was worried about Ben because of the letter and because how he was acting. But she also trying to think of a way to tell him how she felt. She wished that she could be as brave as him and just say it.

"Rey," he whispered, interacting her thoughts.

"Yes?"

"I have to leave tomorrow..." he began in a low voice.

"I thought you were staying."

Why would he lie to her, especially about something like this? Rey felt anger welling up inside of her, but also betrayal and beneath it all, sadness.

"I'm not going to war with the troops. We're go...."

Rey was too angry to hear what he was saying, he couldn't just lie to her about something so important and expect that she would be happy with him.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" she cut in. "Why did you say that you were staying with me when you knew that you couldn't?"

She knew that he felt like he had to go, but why did he to lie to her about it?

She felt tears behind her eyes, was he going to leave her alone like everyone else? After her father died her friends and neighbors abandoned her to the streets, would he do the same? She thought that he loved her, but maybe she had finally pushed away.